I don't know use of all dials on my Hayward pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
vjpool
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

I don't know use of all dials on my Hayward pump

Postby vjpool » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 17:10

My pump has several dials-there are a few I don't know what to use them for. Please help. This is a Hayward Vari Flo XL. The dials are:
Filter - which I run my system on 24/7
Waste - I use this when backwashing
Winter - I think this was used when the pool company shut down for winter
Closed - Never used
Backwash - Used after vaccuum
Recirculate - never used
Rinse - Used after backwash

I'm asking because I think I should be using "recirculate" after I put in chemicals but I don't know.

I am a new pool owner acquiring pool with purchase last year. There were no previous owners to ask.

Thanks for any help.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:28

Filter - correct - you use this to properly circulate and filter your pool.

Waste - incorrect - you use this when you want to vacuum to waste, such as when you might have a lot of dirt or leaves in your pool and don't want it to clog up your filter. It bypasses the filter media.

Winter - you are probably right - I live in the desert - no concern for winter here and don't have the setting on my valve.

Closed - correct - you probably won't ever use it. A maintenance person might - I don't know when, but they might.

Backwash - partially correct - you should only need to backwash when your filter pressure gets 10 psi higher than a freshly backwashed aka starting pressure would be. So, for example, if your starting pressure of a new or clean filter is 25 psi on your pressure gauge you should not usually need to backwash unless your gauge gets to 35 psi. Actually, backwashing sooner than that makes your filter a little less effective. A filter with a little dirtiness in it filters better.

Recirculate - I've never used it either, but it simply recirculates your water without making it go through the filter media.

Rinse - correct again! Rinse for 20 or 30 seconds, it cleans your valve after backwashing.

No, when you add chemicals, you will also want your water to go through the filter. Unless it is some special treatment (which I offhand can't think of any)

You did good!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:47

Buggsw wrote:Closed - correct - you probably won't ever use it. A maintenance person might - I don't know when, but they might.

I use closed when cleaning out the filter pump basket...it prevents water from back-flowing from the return lines.

Buggsw wrote:Recirculate - I've never used it either, but it simply recirculates your water without making it go through the filter media.

Use recirculate when adding floc or some stain removers when you want the water to be moving, but not filtering.
vjpool
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby vjpool » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 20:16

Thanks for your help.

Also, I made a mistake on the "waste" control - I DO use it when vaccuuming.

Thanks for the tip on backwashing. I have to get a clear, clean pool before I know what that "clean" reading would be though.
I'm glad this site is here.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 20:43

vjpool wrote:Also, I made a mistake on the "waste" control - I DO use it when vaccuuming.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, you are still removing the dirt from your pool, you just lower the water level of your pool which again my be desirable if you have high levels of CYA or hardness.

Vacuuming to waste can be very helpful if you have a lot of dirt, gunk, mud at the bottom as there is no reason to send it through your filter first.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”