Chloramines - conflicting advice - please help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 01:44

The adjusted TA is only useful in computing the saturation index since that is dependent only on the carbonate alkalinity, not the total alkalinity. The reason for the adjustment of TA has nothing to do with the pH -- it is only to determine the carbonate contribution to alkalinity by removing the CYA contribution. Both contributions have a pH dependence. At a pH of 7.5, you deduct one-third of the CYA level form the TA level to get carbonate alkalinity (aka adjusted TA).

I live in California and have not lived in GA.

Ziora
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Normal CYA - Finally

Postby Ziora » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 21:10

I'm finally able to get back to clearing our pool of the algae. After dilution, the CYA is at 30. I'm cheering for that!

The pool is 18,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter

pH 7.4
TA 115
TC 0
CYA 30
TH unsure

I added 5 gal., 1 qt. 6% clorox. That should bring the FC up to 17ppm. I hope that's not too high, but I didn't think it would hurt to start off a little higher. I didn't vacuum because I can't see the bottom.

Any idea how much dry acid I might go through in the next few days to keep the pH down to 7.6? I have 2 (5lb.) jugs of pH decreaser on hand. I have no idea how much it will be raised by the clorox additions.

I know the TA is still a little low. I'm going to wait before I adjust it, unless it's better to do it sooner than later.

I had it tested for copper and iron last week. Copper was zero and iron was .1.

I hope I'm on the right track. This is giving me a headache. The sales guy at Family Dollar looked at me funny when I told him I had 14 bottles of bleach in the buggy. I told him it was for something I learned by watching CSI.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Normal CYA - Finally

Postby Backglass » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 21:24

Ziora wrote:The sales guy at Family Dollar looked at me funny when I told him I had 14 bottles of bleach in the buggy. I told him it was for something I learned by watching CSI.

Now THATS funny! :lol: But be careful joking around...buying large quantities of bleach is also one of the warning signs of a Meth Lab.

Wouldnt want the swat team busting down your door at 1am!!! :shock:
Ziora
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Ziora » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 22:35

Wow, I didn't know that. No wonder that gal in line started snickering when she saw my cart. I suppose I should go to a different store next time. :lol:

I edited to add: That's horrible to realize. I guess people don't realize clorox is an ingredient, or they don't care. I didn't mean to make fun of a serious problem.
Ziora
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Wow, no more green pool

Postby Ziora » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:46

I woke up this morning afraid to look at the pool. As dawn broke, I could see a definite improvement, though I still thought it was wishful thinking. Now, at 9:30 a.m., there is absolutely no green to the water, not even a hint of it. If I didn't think I'd hurt myself, I'd do cartwheels around the pool.

It cost $32.00 for the bleach and pH decreaser, in addition to $15.00 for baking soda. I've had to add 10 pounds of the dry acid so far. I wish I would have known to do this at the beginning. I still would have had to replace some water, but it would have saved a month of swim time and lots of money down the drain in useless chemicals. I love that calculator, btw. It was right on the money.

The water is cloudy and blue. I'm not sure what to do next, but I guess I should keep it at shock level at least one more day and keep watching the acid.

Meanwhile, my neighbor is still pouring the "miracle shock", along with other various chemicals, into their very green pool.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Wow, no more green pool

Postby Backglass » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:36

Ziora wrote:The water is cloudy and blue. I'm not sure what to do next, but I guess I should keep it at shock level at least one more day and keep watching the acid.

Exactly. Watch your numbers, vacuum up dead algae, keep it at shock levels and keep your filter running 24/7. If you have a pool brush, use it. It will make everything look temporarily worse as you stir up all the gunk, but it ensures that everything gets touched by the chlorine and also allows your filter to get it.

And of course...wait. :)

Postby Guest » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 22:47

Thanks for the advice. It's still looking good despite a huge storm with lots of rain, high winds, and no power.

I'm getting nervous at this point. Everyone is a skeptic, despite the fact that it's clearer than it's been in a month. I have to get it past this point. I never had anything to do with managing this pool other than brushing it down and turning the pump on and off. I don't know how to hook up the vacuum yet, but I'm thinking I might want to delegate that. I tried it once. Vacuuming is not as easy as it looks!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”