Woods

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Woods
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 13:40

Woods

Postby Woods » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:29

We have a salt system. We had many people swimming in our pool on Sunday so we super chlorinated for 24 hrs. like we were told to do at our pool school. Now our chlorine is way too high. What do we do to lower it?


Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Re: Woods

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:59

Woods wrote:Now our chlorine is way too high. What do we do to lower it?


Wait. Sunlight and time will reduce it quickly.
Woods
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 13:40

Woods

Postby Woods » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:30

Thanks for your reply. I have another question for you. What is the reason for super chlorinating after you have several people in your pool?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Re: Woods

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:47

Woods wrote:Thanks for your reply. I have another question for you. What is the reason for super chlorinating after you have several people in your pool?


Well without getting into the chemistry of it all (I will leave that to Buggs & Chemgeek ;)), I will give a shot at the layman's explanation:

Chlorine oxidizes the pollutants in your pool (sweat, urine, algae, etc). When you have a large bather load, the lower maintenence levels of chlorine get used up and convert to chloramines. This is what you smell and burns your eyes. Bringing the pool up to shock level burns up the chloramines and remaining pollutants and restores order in the pool universe. :lol:

It is a common myth that the smell of chlorine and burning eyes means you have over chlorinated. It's actually backwards. When you smell chlorine or your eyes sting...you actually don't have enough.
Woods
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 13:40

Thank you

Postby Woods » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 20:37

Thank you so much. That was what I needed to know.
Guest

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:57

buy yourself a good test kit and test for cc
that way you don't shock unless you need to.
shocking doesn't cost you anything since you have
a swg but it does force the swg to run much more
than normal therefore reducing the life of it.
It is VERY important that you have a good drop
test kit and learn how to test your own water, don't
rely on the pool stores to test it for you.. remember...
they want your money.. very very very seldom will they
say "your water's fine"
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:11

Anonymous wrote:remember...
they want your money.. very very very seldom will they
say "your water's fine"


<Applause>

Truer words were never spoken.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Chlorine”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests