homemade pool heater

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
dnd

homemade pool heater

Postby dnd » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 15:52

i am using copper coils from an old ac unit[415 feet of 3/8 copper],placed in my attic-with a fan pulling hot air past the coils.is this enough to heat my pool--10,000 gals.? i live in central fla.[/b]

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 15:59

It could work. There are companies that make pool heaters that harvest heat from your attic, but the flaw is they only work on sunny, hot days...not the cold ones when you need the heat.

Oh, and be sure to post pictures when your hair turns green from the copper. :lol:

Solar Fish

Postby Guest » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 21:46

Another fairly good and cheap way to heat your pool is fish! Solar fish! I found these guys in my local pool shop. They ran me about 8 bucks per fish. I have a 13X33 oval pool and i usually use about 2-3 (depending on the cooler nights) per 2-3 months (depending on the pool usage). They contain a safe chemical that slowly releases into your pool. There is no odor and they sink to the bottom of the pool. My pool usually stays around 80-84. I live in PA, so the nights get into the 70 and sometimes 60.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Solar Fish

Postby Backglass » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 10:26

Anonymous wrote:Another fairly good and cheap way to heat your pool is fish! Solar fish! I found these guys in my local pool shop. They ran me about 8 bucks per fish. I have a 13X33 oval pool and i usually use about 2-3 (depending on the cooler nights) per 2-3 months (depending on the pool usage). They contain a safe chemical that slowly releases into your pool. There is no odor and they sink to the bottom of the pool. My pool usually stays around 80-84. I live in PA, so the nights get into the 70 and sometimes 60.

The fish do work by reducing evaporation, but a solar cover works MUCH better...and you only buy it once. ;)

Postby Guest » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:55

I like the fish. I am about 5 ft 3 inc. and my goofy husband installed out 18X33 above ground pool himself. after he leveled it (leaving abouta 3 ft drop on the upper end) he put the pool up and filled it full of water. Never finished the landscaping. I am too short to try to fight a cover on a pool that I can barely reach to top of. Until he builds my deck, fishies are my friend. But thanks - wasnt sure if the cover really made that much of a difference. i live in PA and on a day where it is about 86, my pool is about 82. How much of a difference would the solar cover make?

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”