two and a half gallons of muratic acid..TA still high

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
shonks5
I'm new here
I'm new here

two and a half gallons of muratic acid..TA still high

Postby shonks5 » Wed 27 Jun, 2007 18:21

I have an inground 30,000 gal pool. I've been working it for days to get things right. My TA is 190ppm and my PH is 6.8. To lower the alkalinity, I pour muratic acid in at the deep end of the pool with the pump off. I leave the pump off overnight, and then restart it the next morning. The alkalinity goes down a little, but the PH takes a nosedive, so I add PH increase. The alkalinity goes up again. I can't keep any clorine level up either. I've read a few of the posts here, and am aerating to see if that will help. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shonks 5

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 27 Jun, 2007 18:28

Follow the procedure outlined in this post. Notice that you do NOT add pH Up at any point in the procedure. To make the pH rise, you aerate the water. Also, do not have the pH below 7.0 if you have a vinyl pool and only have it at the next to lowest measurement on your pH test because you want to make sure you don't go lower.

As for your chlorine level, if this is a new problem and your pool is consuming lots of chlorine, even overnight, then you probably have a nascent algae bloom and need to shock the pool. That's probably more important to do than lowering your TA level. Have you measured your CYA level? If it's high, then a partial drain/refill may be in order (or using a weekly PolyQuat 60 algaecide after doing the shock). Get a good test kit, the Taylor K-2006, if you do not have one.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”