pool levels

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Mustard

pool levels

Postby Mustard » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:54

We have just set up our up ground pool and the water looks greenish colour. We have very hard well water with alot of iron. We have an 18' X 48" upground liner pool with inflateable ring. I added the chemicals last night as directed for a first time pool. This morning I went out to check the levels and they read as this(free chlorine is 3) ( ph is 7.2) (total alkalinity is 180) and the (cyanuric acid is 0) The pool still has a greenish look to it and it is hard to see the bottom. What should I do or add.
The kids are getting frustrated as they want to go swimming.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:45

Do you have a pump and filter? With 0 CYA your chlorine will be gone by mid-afternoon. You should shoot for a CYA level of around 30. To clear up the green you will need to keep your chlorine levels high and run your pump/filter 24/7 until things clear, which can take a few days.

When you first added the water, did you add any chemicals at all?
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:13

Yes we do have a pump that was supplied with our pool combo kit. As soon as it was past the holes for the hoses we started up the pump to make sure it was flowing ok.
No I did not add chemicals while filling until near the end.
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:27

We had also purchased a crystal clear salt water pool system pump as well which we do not have hooked up as yet. We where told that it would help our pool system.
Is this true.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:20

Mustard wrote:We had also purchased a crystal clear salt water pool system pump as well which we do not have hooked up as yet. We where told that it would help our pool system.
Is this true.

A salt water system is just a continuous chlorine generator, but it is more maintenance free. You have to clear the pool first, either way you go.

First you need to get your pool up to shock level (10ppm) and get it to hold for 24 hours. This will kill the algae turning your pool green. Be sure to run the pump and filter the water 24/7 during this process. In order to do this, you will need to add some CYA (stabilizer) as with a level of zero the sun will eliminate any chlorine in a mater of hours (think of CYA as Chlorine Sunscreen). You want around 25-30ppm, but not over 50ppm.

Unfortunately once the pool has gone green, there isn't a magic pill that will turn it beautiful overnight. It will take a few days and some attention.

Keep at it and let us know our test numbers in a day or two.
Velocity Maximus

High iron content

Postby Velocity Maximus » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 13:23

Magic Pill - YES! You can clear your water overnight! Your greenish color is from the high iron (rust) reddish-yellow with a blue liner= a greenish look. Exactly what I get when I fill my pool from my well.

Easy solution: Go to a Menards and buy a quart bottle of "IRON MYTE" sold in their pool chemical section. (about $6) Pool supply stores have same product under different names but alot more $$$. Add "Iron Myte" at the rate of 8 oz per 4000 gallons of pool water as per directions for discolored water. Run your filter, swim, whatever. The iron will turn into small solid copper colored particles and fall to the bottom, and your water will be clear in about 12-24 hours! (Vaccuum up the solids on bottom)

Tip: "Iron Myte" works best when chlorine and algecide levels are low, so it's best when first filling your pool, then add your other chemicals after. If your chlorine and algecide levels are very high, you may see some tan- brownish foam on the top of the water.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: High iron content

Postby Backglass » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 15:30

Velocity Maximus wrote:Magic Pill - YES! You can clear your water overnight! Your greenish color is from the high iron (rust) reddish-yellow with a blue liner= a greenish look. Exactly what I get when I fill my pool from my well.

Easy solution: Go to a Menards and buy a quart bottle of "IRON MYTE" sold in their pool chemical section. (about $6) Pool supply stores have same product under different names but alot more $$$. Add "Iron Myte" at the rate of 8 oz per 4000 gallons of pool water as per directions for discolored water. Run your filter, swim, whatever. The iron will turn into small solid copper colored particles and fall to the bottom, and your water will be clear in about 12-24 hours! (Vaccuum up the solids on bottom)

Tip: "Iron Myte" works best when chlorine and algecide levels are low, so it's best when first filling your pool, then add your other chemicals after. If your chlorine and algecide levels are very high, you may see some tan- brownish foam on the top of the water.

Assuming it IS Iron, yes a sequestrant such as described above (there are many) may help. You still need to have your other levels in balance however.

The key is to test and find out what the problem is first.
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:12

Can you tell me exactly what type of store Mynards is and what is IRON MYTE. Is it something like Blue Stone?
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:44

Sory about the spelling I guess it was spelt Menards. But anyways is it like a Home Depot Store? If so then I know where to look then.
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:46

Sorry about the spelling I guess it was spelt Menards. But anyways is it like a Home Depot Store? If so then I know where to look then.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 21:21

Have you added CYA and shocked yet?

Do you have a test kit to post your numbers?

Have you had your water tested for Iron before buying random chemicals?

To answer your question, go to www Google com, type in "Menards" and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”