0 free chol.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
robinixie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

0 free chol.

Postby robinixie » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 13:21

can any 1 help--i still can't get a fc reading on my 20,000 gal. fiberglass pool. ph=7.1 alk=154 cya=50 tc=2.9 i'm introducing the "bleach" method after god only knows how much $$$ or #'s of shock were added. i have also diluted pool with tap water to check for bleached out strips. i am hoping that drainage is not nec. i use 3 in. stab. pucks. any suggestions??? can i try unstab chol. to counterbalance? pool store says some people never get a fc reading?!?!?! the water is crystal clear. i have a cart. filter if that matters. is the "chol. lock" mean too much chol. is in pool and i will have to drain? any help would be appreciated. thanks to all.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 15:05

I suggest you get a good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 or the equivalent (and better) kit from tftestkits(dot)com. The chlorine test in this kit is of the FAS-DPD type that can measure up to 50 ppm FC and does so accurately by counting drops instead of matching color. The kit will also test Combined Chlorine (CC) in the same way and will also test pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness (CH) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA).

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”