Completely frustrated!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Completely frustrated!

Postby kristalou » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 18:38

I am probably going to sound like a complete idiot but that is probably because I am one when it comes to all of this pool stuff. I recently bought an inflatable pool 16 ft X 48 inches deep. I cannot find any directions anywhere on how to make the water safe. First of all, we have a well and that is what we used to fill it. I tested the water for clorine, alkalinity and ph and came back with 0 on everything! So I shocked it the other day and now I at least have a clorine reading. I then added PH+ to the water and now have a reading on that. The problem is now I have cloudy water! I called a hotline # and they told me to add alkalinity + (8oz every 12 hours) how long does this stuff take to work? I really need help figuring all of this chemical stuff out. She also told me to continue using the clorine tablets at night (how much do I use) if I put it in the skimmer do I have to run the filter at all times? AAAHHHH!!! Help me please! Thanks!

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 18:03

First congratulations on buying a pool it will provide you and your family with hours of fun.

It is unlikely your well water had a 0 reading for Alkalinity and pH. If this was the case the water would eat your concrete and you haven't mentioned that so it probably isn't. It is more likely you have either not tested correctly or there is some other chemical present in the water that is complexing your results.

Please redo the tests now and tell us what the results are now.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Completely frustrated!

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 20:23

kristalou wrote:I tested the water for clorine, alkalinity and ph and came back with 0 on everything!

If the ph of your pool were zero, it would literally eat the flesh from your body. :lol:

If you really want to learn about all this chemical business, you need to buy a test kit. The kind with liquid reagents, not strips. Then post your numbers and we can help you conquer your pool.
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:23

I actually have a good testing kit, not the strips. I am out of town until Monday and I will check my stats when I get home. Thanks!
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 11:56

Ok, I figured out that my alkalinity was actually high (not low like the helpline woman told me) so now after adding baking soda and alkalinity plus, my number is through the roof. I have a 15X42 vinyl pool that holds approx. 3,200 gallons of water. I just did another test and here are my results:
Clorine- 0.0 (I did shock it 2 days ago and it appears it is completely gone!)
PH 7.0
Alkalinity 430
TH 580
CY-0

Please help me! It has been 2 weeks since I have had this pool and I haven't been able to use it yet!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 15:47

Wow...yes your TA is very high. You need to start ona crusade of acid & aeration to get it down. Unfortunately it will take weeks, not days to get back down to normal. Alternatively since your pool is so small ( I am assuming that s a 15 foot round, 42" high pool...not a 15x42 foot pool!), you might consider draining off a foot or two of water and refilling with fresh. Assuming you use the same water you filled with the first time, you will lower the TA through dilution.

You need to add CYA. With -0- CYA on a sunny day, your pool can go from superclorinated (15) to zero in under 2 hours. :shock: Buy some CYA (aka Stabilizer) and shoot for a level of 30ppm.

Then you need to get your chlorine up to shock levels and get it to stay there for at least 24 hours. Continue to run your pump 24/7 until your pool is clear.
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 16:10

Any suggestions as to how to get my chlorine up to shock level? I'm using the triclor 3" tablets in a floater currently. Thanks for your help!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 21:11

kristalou wrote:Any suggestions as to how to get my chlorine up to shock level? I'm using the triclor 3" tablets in a floater currently. Thanks for your help!

Most pool techs say you should fix the TA first. I would seriously consider draining some water and refilling fresh to get your TA down.

The triclor will add CYA slowly and chlorine of course, but you need to get to at least 10 and stay there for 24 hours to get things cleared up. The first thing you need to do is stop by the pool store, home depot, lowes or wal-mart and buy some CYA (Stabilizer). You will need around 1.5 pounds to get your CYA to 30ppm. You must do this or any chlorine you put in your pool to shock will be gone in a few hours, as you have already seen. Pour it into an old sock and tie it to your ladder...it dissolves very slowly.

THEN get some bleach. Good ole plain ultra walmart bleach (no scent or the thick kind). One gallon of 6% bleach will raise your 6000 gallon pool to exactly 10ppm of chlorine. Don't do the bleach without the CYA first though or it will just be wasted and gone in a hour. You could also buy pre-packed granular shock at the pool store if you really want to pay 4X the price for the same thing. ;)

That should get you started. :P
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 08:30

Can I put the stabilizer in my skimmer instead of a sock? We haven't been leaving our ladder in the pool yet. Also, I have a 3,200 gallon pool not 6,000 so should I decrease the bleach (from 1 gallon) or how much should I add? Is it ok to add liquid bleach to a vinyl inflatable pool? Thanks so much for all of your help!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 11:32

kristalou wrote:Can I put the stabilizer in my skimmer instead of a sock? We haven't been leaving our ladder in the pool yet.

You can, but it will just clog your filter until it dissolves. The sock is the best because it dissolves very slowly. Ladder not neccesary, tie it to anything. Pool upright. Tree. Bicycle. Potted Fern. Small Child. Etc. :lol:

Or...just put the sock in your skimmer basket.

kristalou wrote:Also, I have a 3,200 gallon pool not 6,000 so should I decrease the bleach (from 1 gallon) or how much should I add?

I am confused. In your first post you said 16 foot round, 48 inches deep. Thats 6031 gallons according to Bleachcalc. Then you said 15 foot round, 42 inches deep. Bleachcalc says that 4638 gallons. You say 3200 gallons. It's your pool, so you make the choice as to what it really is. ;)
  • To raise a 6031 Gallon pool from 0 to 10ppm Chlorine - 1 Gallon, 1 Ounce of 6% Bleach.
  • To raise a 4638 Gallon pool from 0 to 10ppm Chlorine - 3 Quarts, 3 Ounces of 6% Bleach.
  • To raise a 3200 Gallon pool from 0 to 10ppm Chlorine - 2 Quarts, 4 Ounces 6% Bleach.
Take your pick! :P If your bleach is 5% these calculations will only take you to about 8.5%.

[quote[Is it ok to add liquid bleach to a vinyl inflatable pool? Thanks so much for all of your help![/quote]

Chlorine is chlorine. Granular, liquid or gas. The key is to use the correct amount and slowly pour it into your skimmer so it doesn't sit on the bottom (bleach is heavier than water). You can even dilute it with water in a bucket first for added protection. Same for granular. If you threw a pound of granular chlorine directly into your pool it would fall to the bottom and bleach it out.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 13:23

The only comment I would add to the excellent advice that has been given is to always pour bleach or chlorinating liquid SLOWLY over a return (arm outstretched to not be right next to the wall) with the pump running. The liquid forms of chlorine are denser than water so dumping them in quickly can have them settle on the bottom if there is poor circulation as is typical in many above-ground pools that have no floor drain. Pouring slowly into a water stream helps ensure proper mixing.

Some people pour the chlorine into the skimmer, but if that is done then it also needs to be done very slowly as the chlorine is quite concentrated and should be done with the pump running. I prefer pouring over the return.

Richard
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 16:01

Thank you so much for all of your help! :P I'm sorry about the confusion of the size of our pool. The box says 15' X 42" and 3,200 gallons on the side. I put the sock of stabilizer in the pool and added the bleach. Hopefully, it will fix the problem! I'll keep you posted!
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 16:12

Yeah!! I finally got all of my levels balanced and got to use the pool yahoo! You pool experts are awesome! Thank you so much!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:21

And it's all because you took the time to learn about your water and understand your test numbers. Looking back, it wasnt really that hard was it!

Now, just stay on top of it for a few minutes every couple of days and your pool wont have any more problems.

Congrats!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”