CLOUDY WATER

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
D-CEE
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

CLOUDY WATER

Postby D-CEE » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:54

just wondered if anyone has ever had silt (kind of like sand but about a 1000 times finer) in thier pool? it came from our well when we topped of pool. 18x48 intek the one with the metal poles. tried to vac but just stirs up in water and makes cloudy again...haven't tired to floc will that work on this? as you know these pool don't have a great filteration system so i'm buying a sand filter today they say is compatible..

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:57

You can also vacuum to waste if you move really slowly. Otherwise floc will help coagulate tiny particles, but you have to use it correctly.

Pour it in , recirculate for an hour, shut off the pump and wait at least 12 and sometimes up to 48 hours for everything to settle out. It's a last resort.
D-CEE
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby D-CEE » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:11

if its a last resort what do you suggest i try first? the vac. even extremely slow just stirs up. it is almost like a powder. i just thought maybe this floc stuff i 've read about on here will make it easier to vac.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:58

If it is that fine, you may not have a choice. It certainly wont hurt anything...
SLS3208

tiny particles

Postby SLS3208 » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 20:37

D-CEE, did the floc work? I have the exact same problem and have had no luck either, just found this site today, and wondered if you had any luck?
biodieselguy

Postby biodieselguy » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:38

Are you using the same vacuum that came with your pool , or one that goes to the filter ? I have the same pool and have been fighting the same problems since last summer . I replaced the pump and filter with a 1hp pump and a sand filter and got a vacuum that goes to the filter instead of the one they give yuo with the pool and have had alot less problems since . The vacuum that you use with a garden hose will only pick up leaves at best , it is not really a vacuum .
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:09

biodieselguy wrote:The vacuum that you use with a garden hose will only pick up leaves at best , it is not really a vacuum .

Oh absolutely! When I referred to a vacuum I meant a "real" pool vacuum that attaches to the suction line of the filter.

Any kind of "venturi" vacuum like you describe (garden hose, etc) is only going to bag objects from the pool like leaves, twigs & bugs and not the finer stuff like dead algae, dirt, dust, pollen, etc.

In fact it would probably just stir it all up!
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
D-CEE
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby D-CEE » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 13:08

The Floc did help settle it to the bottom but as soon as you stir the water
even the smallest amount it gets cloudy again The guy at the pool store said the sand filter would not filter the silt is this true? we used the filter that came with the pool but used a real vac. we hooked up the hose to the inlet hose and unhooked the outlet hose from the pool kind of like to waste i guess.. it worked but as soon as we filled the pool up again same prob. If you think sand filter will work please let me know..
thanks
biodieselguy
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby biodieselguy » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 15:42

I have the same pool and the same well water problems you are having . I added a 1hp pump and a 20" sand filter with some DE added into the filter and have not had any problems since . The sand filter should also hae the valve ontop of it to be able to vacuum to waste without having to remove the hoses from the pool .
D-CEE
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby D-CEE » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:40

biodieselguy- How did you hook up the sand filter? Does your pool have the attachments with the handles to stop the water? Our hoses are 1.5" and the only sand filters i have found come with 1.25". So you vac the silt to waste or to filter? As I said before if I vac to waste, have to fill pool again and get the silt all over again. I know alot of ?????s sorry

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”