sun tan lotion on water line

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jillsinspain » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 14:41

My pool is used by guests at my holiday rental property who in some cases use use up to factor 40 sun tan cream, leaving an ugly yellow line around the water line. Is there something I can add to the water that prevents this? As it is I am down on my hands and knees every morning scrubbing it off!

The water also has lost its sparkle, could this be another result of the sun tan creams?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:01

There is a product called the "Scumball" that works great for this. It's an oil absorbing polymer ball you put in your skimmer. When it gets full you wash it out. It will help.

CLICK HERE to check them out.

There are also enzyme products out there that are good at eating up oils.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jillsinspain » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:17

Thanks for the quick answer Backglass. Do you think that the suntan lotion is connected to the lack of sparkle in the water?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:39

jillsinspain wrote:Thanks for the quick answer Backglass. Do you think that the suntan lotion is connected to the lack of sparkle in the water?

It very well could be, but could also be a number of factors from alkalinity to hardness to metals. Everything else is in balance?

If it's oils you should see a rainbow like "sheen" on the surface when the light hit's it right.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jillsinspain » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 13:33

I have been in touch with the company about the scumball and they say that it floats freely in the pool. But I really dont want that because I think it would not be very nice to have floating amongst swimmers. Is it possible to put in the skimmer and would it be just as effective?

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”