Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
bkb2718
I'm new here
I'm new here

Above ground pool help

Postby bkb2718 » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 23:58

I recently purchased a 18 X 33 above ground pool. The site for the installation has roughly a 35" difference in elevation over the span of 33 feet. Knowing I have a high water table issue, I hired a local contractor to level the area and here is where the problem comes in. After 10hrs, 20 yards of "red stabalizing sand" , $1100 bucks and digging a 50' ditch to lay two 4" french drains, I still have the same spongy feel to the area. Contractor said once the top layer of the sand he leveled drys it will harden and everything will be OK. Is he full of it or will this really happen. Any help is apreciated.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 08:06

Personally, I would have just bought a rock rake and some sand, smoothed and leveled the surface and plopped the pool down on top. The weight of the water in your pool is enormous and although I am no engineer, I wouldn't think a high water table would have any bearing. Heck a two foot flood wouldn't budge it! I predict you will have zero spongyness when that pool is full as according to my calculations, your pool will weigh about 71 TONS. :shock:

That being said, I have never heard of sand that hardens (you are the second person to mention this). Every above ground pool I have ever been in had a normal sand bottom and always had a little "give" to it.
bkb2718
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bkb2718 » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 12:28

Backglass, the red sand is a mixture of sand and clay. The ratio is somewhere around 80% sand and 20% red clay. I know the sand will not harden, I think the red clay and sand mix is supposed to really pack tight to give a firm foundation. I still will haul in mason sand to line the bottom of the pool. I checked again today and the two drains have very little water flowing out of them and still have plenty of soft spots in the area. I keep you posted over the next couple of weeks before the installation.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”