Low Pump Speed & Chlorine

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jlthla
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Chlorine in ground pool. just upgraded controls to Pentair Easy Touch 4

Low Pump Speed & Chlorine

Postby jlthla » Wed 20 May, 2020 13:49

So I'm finally able to run my pump at low speed(as opposed to Hi), and am curious about chlorine. Assuming that running the pump full tilt for 8 hours was good to get the chlorine out of the dispenser and into the pool, now that I'm running the pump full speed for 4 hours, then at low speed for 4 hours, I'm assuming this affects the chlorine level in the pool by virtue of the less amount of gallons of water running over the chlorine tabs in the dispenser.

Should I compensate by running the pump longer in low speed? and doesn't running the pump longer in slow speed just circumvent the reason for running it at a lower speed to begin with ?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Low Pump Speed & Chlorine

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 21 May, 2020 02:38

If you run your pump for the same time at a low speed you save electricity
I take it you are using Trichlor or Dichlor tabs in your dispenser which introducts CYA
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Use Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) and only the tabs when you are away

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”