Flocculant: where to?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Cotechinho
I'm new here
I'm new here

Flocculant: where to?

Postby Cotechinho » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 11:02

Hallo :D
I have a new pool (since 2 months ago).
I use multi functions chlorine tablets with flocculant.
I use to use a "floater" to dissolve it slowly.
But doing so every day i find the "flocculation" at bottom of the pool. So I tried to put the tablets in the skimmer, but this way it dissolves more quickly (so chlorine in the pool is too high) and I am afraid I could ruin the sand filter (on the instructions it's written not to put the tablets in the skimmer, but many people told me to do so).
I'd like to know whether you have the same issue and how you would solve it.
I could buy a (quite cheap, about 80$, moved by filter pressure) automatic bottom cleaner, but I'm not sure it would work well, or I could ignore the "dirt" and clean it once a week.

Any suggestion? :roll: :roll:

Thanks

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 11:45

most likely the holes in the floater are on the bottom. tape up those holes with duct tape and poke some holes at the top instead. keep the tablet(s) at the bottom.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Flocculant: where to?

Postby Backglass » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 13:37

Cotechinho wrote:I use multi functions chlorine tablets with flocculant.
I use to use a "floater" to dissolve it slowly. But doing so every day i find the "flocculation" at bottom of the pool. Any suggestion?

Well it would seem to me that if you don't want floc on the bottom of your pool, don't use tablets with flocculant! :lol:

But seriously...you are going to have CYA issues sooner or later using pucks. You should consider just using straight chlorine.
Cotechinho
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cotechinho » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 19:23

Anonymous wrote:most likely the holes in the floater are on the bottom. tape up those holes with duct tape and poke some holes at the top instead. keep the tablet(s) at the bottom.
thanks, seems an amazing idea, I could try to build my home-made floater 8)
Cotechinho
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Flocculant: where to?

Postby Cotechinho » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 19:50

Backglass wrote:Well it would seem to me that if you don't want floc on the bottom of your pool, don't use tablets with flocculant! :lol:

:lol::lol: eheh, at the moment I have these (10 Kg left? :P), I woun't change for long time.
How often do you use flocculant?

But seriously...you are going to have CYA issues sooner or later using pucks. You should consider just using straight chlorine.

And sould I "customize" measurers for chlorine, CYA, anti-algae, cyanizer (sorry, don't know the english term:P) and flocculant itself?
I think issues would be caused by me and not by pucks :oops: :oops:

Thanks

PS:
Backglass, a long long time ago, wrote:CYA = Cyanuric Acid, also known as Stabilizer. Sunlight degrades chlorine very fast. Without any CYA a pool can go from 10ppm of chlorine to zero in just a few hours. Think of it as sunscreen for chlorine. The target range is 30-50. Anything over 50 and you start having to maintain much higher chlorine levels to get anything done. Get over 100 and you start risking "chlorine lock" where even with high levels of chlorine it wont sanitize.
CYA is in all chlorine products that say "stabilized" like pucks, most pool shocks, etc. The only way to reduce CYA is through dilution...draining some water and refiling with fresh. To raise CYA you can purchase some or slowly raise it through pucks, etc.
I read this, before you rewrite it. Very interesting, did not know avout this.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”