vac to waste ???

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
elizgh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground pool with sand filtration system and timer with small pins to control the timing . I would like to know how to keep the filtration going 24/7 because we had a tremendous amount of rain last week and the pool has been flooded with small debris . I know to backwash and to rinse and to empty the two skimmer baskets . I am advised to get the filtration system going 24/7 but am not sure how to do that . Any help would be amazing .

vac to waste ???

Postby elizgh » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 10:46

Hi, are any of the amazon/ebay items for vacuuming the in ground pool any use ??? we had a huge amount of rain last week and I see that the water has been driven down the garden and into the pool . As a consequence the floor of the pool is full of black drifts of soil and dust and bits . The pool man who is too busy to come , says put it on full filtration 24/7 and two goldifloc tablets in the pool skimmer and backwash and rinse each day till the muck is drained out .
But I wondered if anyone has had any experience of gadgets on amazon for vacuuming the pool ? Thanks .

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: vac to waste ???

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 02:04

Most timers have a setting switch which says on or manual or just change the pins
If you have a lot of dirt it's best to vacuum to waste
Just filtering 24/7 won't remove dirt on the bottom only floating and suspended in the water
Most vacuuming parts are standard
elizgh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground pool with sand filtration system and timer with small pins to control the timing . I would like to know how to keep the filtration going 24/7 because we had a tremendous amount of rain last week and the pool has been flooded with small debris . I know to backwash and to rinse and to empty the two skimmer baskets . I am advised to get the filtration system going 24/7 but am not sure how to do that . Any help would be amazing .

vac to waste ???

Postby elizgh » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 05:35

Thanks for that . I have this morning backwashed and rinsed and checked the two skimmer baskets and cleared them and put the pump back onto filtration 24/7 .
I have no idea how to vacuum , so back to the original question , does anyone know if the online products work ? Or will I be able to keep backwashing and eventually clear the remaining debris on the floor ?
And the test strip says beige , orange, and green , whereas I think it should say beige, reddish and mauve . ?
elizgh
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby elizgh » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 05:53

OK , I now have a 9m hose sent on by the pool people and will try to fix it to the vacuum head and handle , and then try to work out how to get it into the side of the pool and into the side drainer . wait for the big splash !!!
There are some very useful videos on UTube about this subject and will go on with them. Thanks for reading these .
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 06:56

Backwashing only clears out the debris collected in the filter
When putting in the pool be careful to gte the air out of it because it will stop the pump working
You can connect the end to a return to force the air out and keep the hose full of water
YouTube is a good idea
ArthurHolo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground pool: 10x20, depth of around 5.5 feet, vinyl lined

Postby ArthurHolo » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 23:08

As far as I know, there are different types of vacuums from manual to automatic. All of them have pros and cons. For example, manual vacuums are effective and the least expensive, but in this case, it takes more effort from you to spend time and clean your pool. As for an automatic vacuum, it will do all the work, but sometimes it won't be as good as you can do it by yourself. Last but not least is a vacuum head because the quality of water depends on how well you will clean your pool. In this case, you need to spend more time reading info that will help you to choose what you want. I have both and use them depending on the quality of water. Once a week or two I use a robot. When I have free time or when the pool is not that dirty, I can use a regular vacuum with a triangular vacuum head. At least it works great for me. Just try to search for some youtube videos or articles.

34db6739-2f4e-4c78-a54a-4150fcf1547b.jpg

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”