Is is safe to swim with high Alkalinity??

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Cari

Postby Cari » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 19:15

We are brand new pool owners. Our gunite/plastered pool was just completed and filled on Saturday (6/30) and equipment start-up was on Monday (7/2). The chlorine and ph levels are great, but the alkaline is very high, which I believe is to be expected since it is newly filled & the plaster is curing. When I tested the TA, I stopped adding drops after 26, so the TA level is 260+. I have 2 questions...

1) At this early date of pool startup, do we need to begin taking the steps I've seen recommended on this site to bring up ph, then bring down both ph and ta? Or do we need to wait it out a bit before adding extra chemicals?

2) With the 4th of July tomorrow, we were hoping to swim with family. Is it okay to swim with such high TA levels? I am 8 months pregnant and also have a 5 and 3 year old. We are anxious to swim, but obviously not at any health risk!!!

I would appreciate any replies. I hope everyone has a great 4th of July!!!!!!!

Cari

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 20:04

So long as you have sufficient chlorine in the pool and the pH is between 7.0 and 8.0 (7.5 is best), then the high Total Alkalinity (TA) is no problem for swimming. The main problem with the high TA is that if the Calcium Hardness (CH) is also high then you can get cloudiness or scaling. Over time, your pool will tend to rise in pH unless you use an acidic source of chlorine (such as Trichlor, but that increases Cyanuric Acid levels).
benson

Postby benson » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 13:58

The ta 240
cya are 30-50
ph is 7.5-7.8

is it ok to swim in it?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:26

Again, the safety has to do with whether you have a disinfectant in the water and you did not list any disinfectant level such as Free Chlorine (FC). A high TA is not a problem unless the Calcium Hardness (CH) is also high in which case you can risk getting calcium carbonate scale -- not a health hazard, but not good for pool surfaces (including gas heat exchangers).

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”