TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 09:43

Hi ALl. I am a single mom, and a bit overwhelmed taking care of my new pool myself. SO any & all help is greatly appreciated!!

1. My floating chlorinator is continually getting hung up in the skimmer. It ends up restricting the flow of water into the skimmer, which reduces filter pressure, and cuts off heat pump. When I toss the chlorinator across the pool, problem solved. Any suggestions to prevent this? Can chlorine tablets go directly into the skimmer basket?

2. My dealer gave me a backwash hose (blue thin vinyl). I ahve a Hayward DE filter. But when I backwashed the filter, I couldn't figure out how I'm supposed to use the hose. It is too small to fit over the opening where the filter empties. ANd when I tried to stick it into the opening, it just blocked the flow; the backwash didn't go through the hose. It's a problem because the way the filter sits, when I backwash it's all going under my fence & flooding my neighbor's garden with muck!!!

Thanks for any help!!

Cotechinho
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cotechinho » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 12:47

Anonymous wrote:Hi ALl. I am a single mom, and a bit overwhelmed taking care of my new pool myself. SO any & all help is greatly appreciated!!

1. My floating chlorinator is continually getting hung up in the skimmer. It ends up restricting the flow of water into the skimmer, which reduces filter pressure, and cuts off heat pump. When I toss the chlorinator across the pool, problem solved. Any suggestions to prevent this? Can chlorine tablets go directly into the skimmer basket?

If your return valve has a little holed ball inside of it, try to direct it a bit upwards, so the return flow should move it away.
About putting tablets in the skimmer I don't know, this way they dissolve much faster raising too much the level of chlorine, but many people do, so i can't suggest more. Most peolple here suggest to use straight chlorine, but don't know if you may want to loose thise ease (at the moment I go on using them, even if this could give issues)

2. My dealer gave me a backwash hose (blue thin vinyl). I ahve a Hayward DE filter. But when I backwashed the filter, I couldn't figure out how I'm supposed to use the hose. It is too small to fit over the opening where the filter empties. ANd when I tried to stick it into the opening, it just blocked the flow; the backwash didn't go through the hose. It's a problem because the way the filter sits, when I backwash it's all going under my fence & flooding my neighbor's garden with muck!!!
Thanks for any help!!
Maybe you shoud unroll it and let him lie at the sunlight for an hour to soften it.
You should even check whether the pressure during backwash, maybe it's too low and cannot enlarge the hose.

Probably someone will give better answers, I'm waiting too :P [/i]

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 13:13

Thank you for your input. I will deflect the return upwards, so it pushes the chlorinator away.
As for the backwash hose, are you saying it's suppsoed to stretch to fit over the opening in the back of the filter where the backwash comes out?? (Sorry, I don't know the term). Seems like the hose is much smaller in diameter.

Anyone else out there who has an answer for us???

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 15:13

use a piece of string to keep your chlorinator away from the skimmmer. tie it off to a rope hook, diving board, or stretch cover deck anchor.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS

Postby Backglass » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 09:44

Anonymous wrote:1. My floating chlorinator is continually getting hung up in the skimmer. It ends up restricting the flow of water into the skimmer, which reduces filter pressure, and cuts off heat pump.

Tie it to a ladder with a piece of string. ;)

Anonymous wrote:2. My dealer gave me a backwash hose (blue thin vinyl). I ahve a Hayward DE filter. But when I backwashed the filter, I couldn't figure out how I'm supposed to use the hose. It is too small to fit over the opening where the filter empties.

Then they either gave you the wrong sized hose or you don't have a hose barb screwed into the outlet. Your waste port is threaded. You need an adapter like THIS ONE, then attach the hose with a hose clamp.

Postby Guest » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 18:42

Thank you. I DO NOT have the adapter you posted a picture of. I will pick one up at the pool store tomorrow. Thank you. (And my neighbor whose garden I'm flooding with filter muck thanks you :D )

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”