Do you need to replace or clean the sand in the filter

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Charles

Postby Charles » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:21

Hi

My pool is 4 years old and I am wondering if need to clean or replace the sand in the filter, how and how often

Thanks

Pool Help

Pool filter help

Postby Pool Help » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 16:05

Silica, quartz and zeolite used in swimming pool filters do need maintenance.

Silica and quartz should be given a dose of "filter sand cleaner" at the start of each swimming season, and the level topped up if required.

Zeolite should be regenerated with salt at the beginning of the season and if needed periodically throughout the season. (Depending on hardness, pool load)

The filter sand should be replaced every 4-5 years, depending on its condition. Changing the sand can be a slog and is often neglected. This results in increased chemical use and inferior filtration, so it is worthwhile checking the sand yearly and changing it at least every 5 years.
Gruntman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Pool filter help

Postby Gruntman » Sun 04 Jun, 2006 20:28

Pool Help wrote:The filter sand should be replaced every 4-5 years, depending on its condition. Changing the sand can be a slog and is often neglected. This results in increased chemical use and inferior filtration, so it is worthwhile checking the sand yearly and changing it at least every 5 years.

Any advice on what signs to look for to determine if the sand needs replacing?

I've got a Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter on the pool that came with the house. I've no idea when the sand was changed last, if ever.

If it's not too expensive, I might just change it anyway. Is this sand special, only available from pool suppliers, or is it something generic.

Thanks!
doe boy

Re: Pool filter help

Postby doe boy » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 14:25

Pool Help wrote:Silica, quartz and zeolite used in swimming pool filters do need maintenance.

Silica and quartz should be given a dose of "filter sand cleaner" at the start of each swimming season, and the level topped up if required.

Zeolite should be regenerated with salt at the beginning of the season and if needed periodically throughout the season. (Depending on hardness, pool load)

The filter sand should be replaced every 4-5 years, depending on its condition. Changing the sand can be a slog and is often neglected. This results in increased chemical use and inferior filtration, so it is worthwhile checking the sand yearly and changing it at least every 5 years.

Couple questions:

1) can you only buy this #20 sand for the Silica II at pool store?

2) How you Check the sand or the level?

3) Where can you buy "filter sand cleaner" and do you just run it through your pool once opened the same as other chemicals?

THANKS!
Sib's Project

Changing the Sand Filter for an inground pool

Postby Sib's Project » Sun 22 Apr, 2007 20:08

:roll:
Can you help, I am wanting to change my sand filter. However I have a few questions. 1. How do I remove screws that are rusted and difficult to unscrew? 2. Would it be better to have a professional change the sand? and 3. What can possibly happen if I do it myself?
sic0048

Postby sic0048 » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 11:45

I changed the sand in my filter last year. It is a simply job.

Take all the screws off the filter and lift the top half off.

Remove the sand - but be very careful as you get down to the bottom 1/3 of the tank. The plastic pipes run from the center of the filter out in a star fashion. Just make sure you don't break any of the pipes. They are pretty fragile, especially when you take the sand out from around them and they are "floating" in the air.

Just take your time getting the sand out. A hose can really help get the last little bit of sand out by washing it out the drain.

Then put the bottom drain back in, slowly put sand in making sure it gets around all the stand pipes, and fill the bottom half up with sand. Then put the top back on and make sure everything is tight.

Just make sure you get filter sand and not a courser sand (buy it from your pool supplier).
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:26

A sand changeout is very easy and will also give you a better understanding into how your filter operates.

SIC0048 is right...just take your time and dig! You do have to use pool filter sand, any other kind wont be the right size and you could end up with either a filter that is clogged or a pool full of play sand.

If the bolts are completely rusted, you might have to cut them off with a Dremel tool or hacksaw. Often even badly rusted hardware will break free if you liberally soak them with a penetrant first (liquid wrench, etc).

Depending on the manufacturer, you might need to take notice of the valve orientation. If you put it back on askew all the settings will be incorrect and you could backwash into your pool or some such. Just mark it with a sharpie or grease pencil so you know how it goes back on.

It's an easy way to rejuvenate your filter and inexpensive to do too!
Poolquartz

Postby Poolquartz » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 02:22

OK lets get a few things straight, for the start most pool shops or service people say change the sand every 4-5 years so they can make some money.

The stand Sand Filter can be filled with different types of sand which of course is inferior to other media, Recycled Glass is one type there is also Zeolite that has started with a hiss and a roar it is good because it absorbs Ammonia when a person piddles in the pool, it works until the microscopic sponge like structure of it gets clogged up with Polymer Based Algasides as well as the Polymer used in the modern Pool Plasters.

A recent discovery by pool designer and pool builder Norman Tyree whilst building a large pool In China was the use of Quartz simply superb in its ability to filter it also creates a Ionizing effect as the water passes through it,
this makes fine particles cling to the Quartz filtering to 3 microns, Glass can also give almost as good a result.

However Quartz is a lot harder than Glass but dose not offer this Ionizing effect which can reduce the Clorine usage. Now where Quartz Stands out is its hardness so the need to change is at least 20-30 years.

Availability go to www.poolquartz.co.nz or email: kiwipool@vodafone.net.nz for supplies.
johnkennady

Postby johnkennady » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 13:46

The sand for swimming pool filters have specially graded with an average dimensions not less than 45mm and not more than 55mm. This specifically graded sand for swimming pool filters having size of 45mm – 55mm is able to trap and retain water contaminants as small as 20 microns (but no more than 100 microns). To use this link you can get more information about sand filters http://www.swimmingpoolsandfilters.biz/ ... lters.html
johnkennady

Postby johnkennady » Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:20

The sand is the filtering media which is found in above-ground sand filters is like the sand found on beach but with small differences. The sand for swimming pool filters have specially graded with an average dimensions not less than 45mm and not more than 55mm. <a href="http://www.swimmingpoolsandfilters.biz/using-sand-for-sand-filters.html" target="_blank">Click here</a> you can get more details about swimming pool sand filters.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”