WHat's an alternative to chlorine pucks?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Kenric

WHat's an alternative to chlorine pucks?

Postby Kenric » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:59

Is I decide that I don't want to use pucks anymore due to CYA, what are alternatives to keeping chlorine levels up?

Im thinking of just pouring liquid chlorine manually daily. Any calculations on how much to pour to maintain/raise a certain ppm per gallon of pool water?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: WHat's an alternative to chlorine pucks?

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 20:41

Kenric wrote:Is I decide that I don't want to use pucks anymore due to CYA, what are alternatives to keeping chlorine levels up?

Im thinking of just pouring liquid chlorine manually daily. Any calculations on how much to pour to maintain/raise a certain ppm per gallon of pool water?

The only alternative to stabilized chlorine is UN-stabilized chlorine ...aka liquid chlorine...aka Liquid Bleach. It's all the same thing.

THIS PROGRAM will give you the calculations you desire.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 21:08

Well, technically, there's also Cal-Hypo (calcium hypochlorite) which does not add CYA, but it does add to Calcium Hardness (CH). There is also lithium hypochlorite which is a powder, dissolves very quickly and is similar to liquid chlorine sources (bleach, chlorinating liquid), but is very expensive.

It is true that there isn't really a convenient slow-dissolving source of chlorine that does not have CYA in it (there are slow-dissolving Cal-Hypo tabs, but they tend to fall apart and leave residue near the end). As for automating hypochlorite production, you can get a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) or for automatically dosing bleach or chlorinating liquid you can use www ezpool com/ The Liquidator or install your own peristaltic pump.

You can also not worry about the CYA and use a weekly maintenance dose of PolyQuat 60 to keep away algae (or can use copper, but have to keep the pH low and not let the copper get too high to prevent staining and green hair). If the CYA gets really high, 150-200 or more, then you need to worry about damaging plaster (see [url=http://www.tricitypoolservice.com/tc-plaster_study.html]this link).

Richard

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:49

save yourself some $$$$$$$
plain 'ol ULTRA CHLORINE BEACH is the best bet.

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:53

save yourself some $$$$$$$
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:06

Anonymous wrote:save yourself some $$$$$$$

They anonymously speak the truth. :P
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Chlorine”