sand filter pump

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
beth5913

sand filter pump

Postby beth5913 » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 18:21

I have an 18x38 inground pool with a sand filter, the pump that was installed with pool is 1hp & someone told me that was sufficient for this size pool. The psi is usually around 8.Does anyone know if this is a big enough pump?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 20:52

Do you get decent flow from the return? It should be fine unless you have other things going on...fountains, heaters, water features, etc.

People & pool companies tend to oversize pumps, when actually "less is more." It's better to have low pressure and high flow then vice-versa.
beth5913

pool pump

Postby beth5913 » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:15

Thanks for your response,that makes me feel better. As far as the "flow" from the pool jets,it's ok,doesn't blow your hand away like it does in my sisters much smaller pool in Florida & the step jets have even a weeker flow,but the 2 main ones are pretty strong. I've been having alot of problems with cloudiness in the water which I felt might be due to the filter & pump,but I now think I have "white mold" Fun,Fun,Fun!!!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: pool pump

Postby Backglass » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:07

beth5913 wrote:Thanks for your response,that makes me feel better. As far as the "flow" from the pool jets,it's ok,doesn't blow your hand away like it does in my sisters much smaller pool in Florida & the step jets have even a weeker flow,but the 2 main ones are pretty strong. I've been having alot of problems with cloudiness in the water which I felt might be due to the filter & pump,but I now think I have "white mold" Fun,Fun,Fun!!!!

As long as the pump is pumping water through the filter at a decent rate, I wouldn't worry about it. The ideal pump/filter is one that "turns over" your pool (filters ALL the water) in 8-10 hours.

The force of the water coming out (pressure) isn't as important as how much water is coming out (flow).
corky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby corky » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:47

Beth,
we have a 18x33 pool too and have a 3/4 hp pump. We did a lot of research before choosing a pump and it turns out most people buy pumps that are too powerful for their filter. There are formulas to actually figure out the correct horsepower - based on gallons in pool, the size of the tubing that was used and how big your filter is. If your pump is too powerful, you waste energy and decrease the life of your filter. We are very happy with our pump - our pool is very clean and we have no problems. I'm sure your pump is fine - bigger isn't always better.

Cheryl

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”