Suction Style Pool Cleaners

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
bisel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool size is approximately 17,000 gallons. Deepest point is 6 feet in center and about 3 feet around the edges. I have a fairly large capacity cartridge style filter system and a 1.5HP variable speed pump. The finish on the pool is pebble tec.

Suction Style Pool Cleaners

Postby bisel » Thu 28 Apr, 2022 23:18

Hello all,

We just had our pool resurfaced with PebbleTec and finding that my Hayward PoolVac not moving about very well. This cleaner is basically the same cleaner we have had for 26 years. It has done an OK job but frequently gets jammed with debris and I have clear it to get it working again.

Now that we have a new pool surface, this cleaner not working so well. I checked suction and it is fine and rather than getting new parts for it I have decided to spring for a new cleaner. I like the suction type cleaners ... prolly cuz my pool already has a side suction attachment and I don't want to go for a pressure side cleaner and one of the robotic cleaners.

I have ordered a new Hayward Aquanaut 400 cleaner as I have heard good things about them. Hope I made a good choice.

Any comments about suction style cleaners. I ordered my new cleaner from Amazon, so I can cancel or send it back if there is overwhelming comments that would persuade me to get different brand.

Thanks,

Steve

WillieApola
I'm new here
I'm new here

-

Postby WillieApola » Fri 24 Mar, 2023 14:34

We seem to have had quite a few new questions about automatic pool cleaners. For those of you who have one, give us a review, please.
-- What kind of cleaner you use.
-- Is it a suction side or pressure side cleaner or other?
-- How long you have had it and approximate cost.
-- Does it climb walls? Handle a deep end?
-- Type and size of your pool.
-- What type of debris it works best at picking up.
-- What type of debris it doesnt work so well on.
-- Would you buy it again?
-- Any other pros and cons.

This info may be helpful to our other members. Thanks.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Suction Style Pool Cleaners

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 24 Mar, 2023 18:12

Owned many different ones, suction, electric and pressure types. I run my pool 24/7 so it is much cleaner anyway as the filtration is on, dirt sinks because the filtration is off so you then have to buy, maintain and run additional equipment. For the odd leaf that does sink, I have a poolBlater max and a traditional vacuum head on the pool pole with a tube to the skimmer fitted with a skimmer sock. Much cheaper, much quicker and it doesnt miss bits.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”