shocked the pool and the water turned brown

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Diane

shocked the pool and the water turned brown

Postby Diane » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:14

I have an 18 x48" vinyl pool. I started filling it with well water which has iron in it and it took too long so I bought city water which has chlorine in it. I put in the recommended amount of algaecide and put a chlorine puck in the floating dispenser. I kept checking the chlorine levels and it showed that I needed to add more chlorine so I shocked the pool with 150 grms. of shock. The water immediately turned brownish. It's clear, but brownish. I've been reading your website and I'm wondering if the problem could be cleared up with the addition of a metal out product? I'd appreciate an answer.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:11

Water turning brown is the telltale sign on Iron in the water. The chlorine literally oxidizes (rusts) the iron and makes it visible. Any metal-out product available at your local pool store would be your first step to try.

Also know that (assuming proper chlorination) the water is not bad or unhealthy but just off-colored.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”