gunite pool

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
freg1961
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 40 kidney shape, gunite bottom, fiberglass sides. 2 hp pump, 4 cartridge filter system.

gunite pool

Postby freg1961 » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 00:27

i have a 60 year old pool that has a lot of pits in it. what would be the best way to resurface my pool? it is very hard to keep clean, without pressure washing.

mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: gunite pool

Postby mknmike » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 12:12

I think mine is finite too. I bought the place about a year ago. The interior of the pool is all painted, and I am thinking that I will have to re-paint it. I also have a few pits.

I’m thinking that this fall will be the time to gradually lower the level of the water and manually repair the cracks and divots in the pool with “pool patch” which I assume is just plaster. My understanding is that the plaster is what makes the pool watertight. The concrete will disintegrate with chlorinated water constantly running over it. My pool is bromine, which I assume would have the same effect.

My pool is also leaking. I just proved that I lost about an inch of water (compared to a test bucket) over about 3 days.
freg1961
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 40 kidney shape, gunite bottom, fiberglass sides. 2 hp pump, 4 cartridge filter system.

Postby freg1961 » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 20:03

will epoxy work on gunite?
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 06:15

freg1961 wrote:will epoxy work on gunite?

I don’t know. Have you contacted a local pool store or local pool pro?
nyleakpros
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby nyleakpros » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 21:53

freg1961 wrote:i have a 60 year old pool that has a lot of pits in it. what would be the best way to resurface my pool? it is very hard to keep clean, without pressure washing.

you would have to describe in more detail these "pits" I would highly recommend a local company and provide a detailed estimate all of the work that needs to be done.

60 years is an old pool and will likely have lot's of work that needs to be done in an invasive renovation project. Without pictures or video, a local company will be able to describe more clearly what all needs to be done.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 03 Aug, 2022 12:12

freg1961 wrote:will epoxy work on gunite?

Not for long based on my experience. Its a waste of money. There are better, longer lasting alternatives.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”