Losing Free Chlorine Reading

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
mrhappy
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Losing Free Chlorine Reading

Postby mrhappy » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:58

Some background: 17,500 gallon AG pool, nine years old. No real problems. I test ~three times/week, and have pH between 6.8-7.4 (currently 7.0), Alk ~100-125 (this is a vinyl-lined pool and I'm shooting for 125ppm) and FC typically about 1.4 with a TC of 1.6. All is well - no green slime, no cloudiness, no odor. Reagents (liquid) are new this spring.

Two weeks ago, discovered I can't keep FC up. We have had a lot of rain in Texas - a lot! - and its been a battle to keep the water balanced.

Added granular chlorine to get the FC up two weeks ago, and worked for a little while. Week later, no FC. Added five more lbs. of granular, got an overnight reading of 3; two days later 1.2, two days later zero.

I am going to pick up test for CYA today, and am thinking about shocking or straight chlorine addition (bleach) to break CC. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :?:

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Losing Free Chlorine Reading

Postby Backglass » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:27

mrhappy wrote:I am going to pick up test for CYA today, and am thinking about shocking or straight chlorine addition (bleach) to break CC. Any suggestions?

I think thats a good strategy. My suspicion is the CYA is high and you are reaching the levels necessary to burn everything off.

Let us know what your CYA results are when you get your test supplies!
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
mrhappy
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Update

Postby mrhappy » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 17:42

Ok; just to be on safe side I got the Taylor 2005 and re-tested everything. Here are today's results:

FC-1.5; TC-1.5; CC-0; pH-7.3; CH-64; Alk-140 (ABG vinyl sided so I taget 125-150); CYA 100+.

My question is; with CYA so high how can there be no CC?

I have some leaf debris (more storms this week) and fine organic material at bottom of pool so I am going to filter to waste and replenish to try and drop CYA with dillution. I also am switching to bleach for chlorine control so I stop adding CYA with tablets.

Any other ideas
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Update

Postby Backglass » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 08:44

mrhappy wrote:Ok; just to be on safe side I got the Taylor 2005 and re-tested everything. Here are today's results:

FC-1.5; TC-1.5; CC-0; pH-7.3; CH-64; Alk-140 (ABG vinyl sided so I taget 125-150); CYA 100+.

My question is; with CYA so high how can there be no CC?

I have some leaf debris (more storms this week) and fine organic material at bottom of pool so I am going to filter to waste and replenish to try and drop CYA with dillution. I also am switching to bleach for chlorine control so I stop adding CYA with tablets.

Any other ideas

It sounds like you got the religion! Everything you are doing is correct and will help you get your pool back on track. You need to get as much of the organic stuff out of the water as possible, reduce your CYA and hit it with chlorine.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Chlorine”