High Alkalinity and Low Chlorine

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Huskerguy84
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground play pool 30'L x 14'W x 5'D. (16,000 gallons) pebble tech sides and bottom.
Pentair Intelliflow Variable Speed Pump with Pentair DE Filter

South Side of house, no shade until sunset

Pump Run times
1500 rpms from 5pm-9pm
3500 rpms from 9pm-3am
2000 rpms from 3am-7am

High Alkalinity and Low Chlorine

Postby Huskerguy84 » Wed 03 Aug, 2022 12:03

Hi, I am new to the forum and tried doing my own research but I'm stumped. My pool dimensions are listed in my bio but here is my issue(s)

My pool is 5 years old and gets direct sunlight all day long in Yuma, AZ. (100-115degrees) I just drained about 60% of my water and replaced with new water because I could not get my chlorine levels to rise and my Alkalinity was through the roof. I also get an light coating of algae that sweeps off easily, almost looks like dirt.

Above ground play pool 30'L x 14'W x 5'D. (16,000 gallons) pebble tech sides and bottom.
Pentair Intelliflow Variable Speed Pump with Pentair DE Filter

South Side of house, no shade until sunset

I am using 1 PoolTime 3-1 Chlorine Tablet in the auto-top-off chamber. I will eventually quit using these tablets when I run out.
I use KemTek Chlorine Liquid
I use KemTek Muriatic Acid

Pump Run times
1500 rpms from 5pm-9pm
3500 rpms from 9pm-3am
2000 rpms from 3am-7am

I just tested my pool and here are my results
Water Temp: 92 degrees
PH 7.6
Free Chlorine- below .6
Total Chlorine-below .6
Brom.- 1.3
Alkalinity-1800ppm ( I was able to drop the Alkalinity from 2400ppm a few days ago)

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: High Alkalinity and Low Chlorine

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 04 Aug, 2022 01:44

Hello and welcome, hopefully we can help sort out some of your issues.
You are not a bromine pool so your bromine reading is actually the chlorine reading x2 which correlates with your reported chlorine level.
You need to know your cyanuric acid (CYA) stabiliser level and not from dip strips. This chemical protects your chlorine from being burned off by the sun which is probably the major issue you have. Having done a partial drain and refill it is quite likely the CYA figure is low but we need to know this as CYA has the most controlling effect on your pool. Wow that alkalinity is the highest I have ever come across, are you sure of its accuracy? If it is correct your pH will climb very easily so I would have expected you to report a pH of 8.1-8.3
In the meantime add chlorine particularly at dusk so it can do its work without the sun burning it off in 2.5 hours which is what I believe is happening that and killing some of the algae. You'll need to shock the pool but we need the CYA level to be able to advise of the free chlorine level required.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”