how do you fix your pool if you aren't a chemgeek

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
miller36

how do you fix your pool if you aren't a chemgeek

Postby miller36 » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:59

I have been trying to read all the posts to fix my problem as I have no replies as of yet and I just don't seem to be able to get it. I am spending a lot of time and money on this little 8 foot pool and have shocked it twice and now all the levels are over the top, except the alkaline...added baking soda, but it is still cloudy. I have tried what I can and again this is a small cheap pool for this summer only and would love if someone could tell me what I can do here. Most posts are for large pools with language I don't understand. I thought, SMALL POOL, SMALL PROBLEMS. WAS I WRONG? Also what do you do with swimming after all this shocking? I can't imagine it is ok but what do I know? I read once not to run filter if shocking....is that true. i realize people have lives and jobs but what is the sense of the forum if no one is looking at new posts and helping out. I can see why people get very frustrated.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:43

I'm sorry no one responded to earlier posts. This forum doesn't get as much activity as some others (this one for example).

Small pools just have less water volume in them, but they are no different in terms of water maintenance. First and foremost, you need to get a good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 from here or here or from a pool store (if they have it -- they usually have the K-2005 which is NOT the same thing) or the even better TF-100 kit from here.

Then, based on the numbers you measure, we can tell you what to do. If your CYA level is way too high, then a partial (or full) drain/refill may be in order. If not, then you may just need to shock with chlorine. If all levels are over the top, then at least a partial drain/refill is the only way to lower some of these levels such as Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and Calcium Hardness (CH).

As for whether or not to run a filter when shocking, the filter is normally run when shocking unless you need to use a flocculant to clear the pool. This depends on the type of pool, whether it has a floor drain, etc. Probably for your pool turning off the pump and using a flocculant would make sense if you could vacuum to waste, but it also depends on how much junk (including algae) is in the pool. If it's getting clear, then you don't need to floc and circulation through the filter will clear it, but since all your numbers are high the cloudiness may be due to too high a TA and CH (and pH). Again, with accurate numbers we can tell you what to do.

Once your pool is in good shape, it is very easy to maintain. People often get whipshawed by the pool store's advice since it's often an endless set of chemicals that create as many problems as they solve, especially if the advice is incorrect (which it sometimes is).

Richard
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: how do you fix your pool if you aren't a chemgeek

Postby Backglass » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:56

miller36 wrote:I thought, SMALL POOL, SMALL PROBLEMS. WAS I WRONG?

Unfortunately...yes. My experience has been the larger the pool, the easier it is to keep balanced. With a small pool it's very easy to overdose and get wildly fluctuating numbers.

I had a tiny 600 gallon spa once and it was impossible to keep stable. I must have drained and re-filled that thing a dozen times.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
miller36

small pool BIG problems for me...

Postby miller36 » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:37

:( thanks for the help chem geek....I can't justify spending that much on a test kit at this point in the game...really....but it might be clearing....when I changed the filter it was black so I hope that is all it was...maybe I will drain some....can we use it if all levels are high? I was using a "solar cover" but it had some holes in it so I think a lot of debris and pollen was getting in it, plus it rained....I swear I am so overwhelmed with my little life and kids right now that the silly reason I got this was to keep my 5 year old occupied some days when we were stuck here but now it is like a job....I was just praying for some quick fixes....stupid I know....there aren't any of those....but it was worth a shot....a friend of mine has the big 15 foot and she simply runs the filter with some chlorine, shocks it every once and a while and she is FINE....I think it is true that some people attract bad luck....I would always welcome any advice....of course I bought spa algascide stuff and some clarifyer...I am obsessed though...I keep going out there to check....watching eggs hatching....oh well...thank you.....
pool_mom

Postby pool_mom » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 14:34

Miller36-
We used to have a small pool like you describe and I had a heck of a time trying to keep the darn thing clean and sparkling. We eventually got a 27' above ground and it is much easier to take care of and keep clear.

I always wondered if it was the fact that the small pools often times come with cheap-o filters (at least ours was).

Sorry I can't offer more help, but that was our experience.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”