New Pool Owner Pool Has Been GREEN for a Month

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Fri 27 Jul, 2007 20:30

Hey,

Calcium hardness is not nearly as important with a vinyl pool unless WAAAAY high/low in which case it can hurt your pump and/or pipes. If your pool is above-ground it isn't really important and should be worried about last, if at all.

As for kits, Chem-geek suggests the Taylor K-2006 kit or one from the Trouble Free Pool people .

It may seem like a lot, but you buy it once and only get refills every couple years. The money you will save by not getting talked into buying buckets of needless chemiclas will paty for the kit in one season. ;)


===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Guest

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 18:58

I do have a vinyl liner. Therefore, the concern over the 'staining' that this algaecide is supposed to do.

We've been treating since Wednesday night, now. There seems to be some lightening in the shallow end. I hope so.

I was just informed by my DH that we are down to about a weeks worth of shock.

I am not working right now, although searching fearlessly. Had an interview last week, and hope that I get that job.

Therefore, my DH is having to shoulder all the bills with a less than $40,000 income. Add new house payment, car repairs, $250 elec bill, and we're just barely getting by.

I know that others are in the same boat I'm in, and I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that I don't know how much more we can put into this. We may just have to let it go, until we do have the money to fix it. I really don't want to do that, but every time we go out to do this maintenance, he gets upset. He wouldn't even put the two cups of Shock in today. :( GRRRR....

I think I'll put it in tomorrow while he's at work.

I am selling on eBay, so hopefully, I'll make enough to buy another $80 bucket of shock.

We moved from TN back to 'Bama, and fully expected me to be working right now. We assumed wrong.

Thanks for all of your advice, and I'm sorry about the 'pity' post..that's not what I mean for it to be. I just want ya'll to know where we stand right now.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend!!

~Melena
Guest

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 20:00

Melena,
Are you using granular or liquid chlorine?

You can do this alot cheaper if you go with BBB (Bleach, Borax, & Baking Soda) from WalMart or your local store.

I'm on a fixed income too and I know what you are going through. I hope you get the job you applied for.
Guest

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 20:08

Also, Are you getting your chlorine level up high enough in one drop? It should sit at 15ppm over night to kill this algae bloom you have. I'm just wondering if 2 cups of chlorine is touching it so to say?

Can you tell us if you have an inground or above ground pool? What are the demensions/size? You never mentioned it and I was just wondering.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:53

Melena,

I feel your pain...you are a prime candidate for BBB. There is no need to go broke buying expensive pool chemicals when everyday products are the exact same thing.

6% ultra bleach from Wal-mart is the exact same thing as liquid chlorine from the pool store (albeit with a lower concentration) and MUCH cheaper.

Also remember..."SHOCK" is something you DO, not something you buy. You can SHOCK with bleach.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com



Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Guest

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:00

Hey Guys...

I tried the bleach thing. I put ten gallons in in 48 hrs. Off brand bleach.

It didn't do anything. Maybe, after we get it cleared up, I'll start using that instead of the granular chlorine.

I started wasting out/filling it back today. Except, I can't waste. I don't know what the deal is, but all I get is clear water. I don't have any idea where CLEAR water is coming from!!

As soon as I walked up to my pump, the glass tube was green. I mean, greener than my pool. I put it on backwash, until my H2O level got down to the arrows, then started filling it back up. The backwash water was green for ten minutes.

I'll go out and do this again when it fills up.

How many times do you think I need to do this?

I've tried everything else. Nothing is working...Nada.

I'm very very sad...and depressed over this. I haven't been able to use my pool for over a month now. Everything that I'm told to do, doesn't work.

This is my last resort. I've been told by several people to do the drain/refill thing, since my CYA level is up.

I do have an in-ground, vinyl pool. It's about 14x24.

Thanks again guys!! Have a great night!

Melena
Guest

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:03

Also, if I'm not doing this right, as far as the draining, how do I do it?

Since my waste doesn't work like most everyone else's, the only thing I can think of is backwash.

Please tell me I'm doing this right!!

Tomorrow, I will go and get the bleach/baking soda/borax. We have the granular bleach and baking soda here, but no liquid or borax.

Thanks again!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:20

Anonymous wrote:I tried the bleach thing. I put ten gallons in in 48 hrs. Off brand bleach. It didn't do anything. Maybe, after we get it cleared up, I'll start using that instead of the granular chlorine.


How did you arrive at 10 gallons? What was the bleach percentage? If you still have high CYA, believe it or not...10 gallons might not be enough. Thats why you should lower your CYA first.

Anonymous wrote:I started wasting out/filling it back today. Except, I can't waste. I don't know what the deal is, but all I get is clear water. I don't have any idea where CLEAR water is coming from!!


From your pool. It looks green in the pool because you are looking through a lot of it. Its the same principle that make the green shampoo in the bottle turn into white suds on your head.

Anonymous wrote:The backwash water was green for ten minutes.


That's all the dead algae, dirt & crap that was killed by your 10 gallons of bleach, and pulled out of the water.

Anonymous wrote:I'll go out and do this again when it fills up. How many times do you think I need to do this? I've tried everything else. Nothing is working...Nada.


I disagree. The 10 minutes of junk that poured out of your filter shows that it IS working. It is not however, going to happen overnight.

Hang in there...you are doing the right thing. Keep ading chlorine bleach, keep your filter running 24/7, keep diluting until your CYA is below 50 and keep brushing & vacuuming.

It WILL get better. You just have a LOT of enemies to kill!
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com



Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Guest

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 19:46

Ok, this is what I've done tonight.

Remember, this is all done without my husband's knowledge. Any bleach, baking powder, algaecide, I buy. Any granulated bleach or tabs, he buys. Plus, right now he's paying the bills. Our elec. was $250 last month.

I backwashed/refilled three times. I added more of the copper algaecide, four boxes of baking soda..which we haven't put in in over a month...and two chlorine tabs. I started to put four, since we have TONS of them, but figured I would wait until tomorrow.

Here's the deal on the pump. We ran it all week last week, 24/7. He's not wanting to run it at night now, due to the bill. We've been turning it on at around 9-10am and leaving it on until around 1am. Therefore, it's only off for 8 hours.

I know that we should be running it all the time, but everytime I bring it up, he tells me that we can't.

I really, really need that job!!

Anyway, I did all the draining etc, put the chemicals in, and brushed between each drain.

I can't see the floor of the pool enough to vac right now.

I hope, hope, hope that what I'm doing now will help even more.

What's the difference in liquid chlorine and my tabs? Like I said, I have a lot of them. We bought one of those HUGE buckets, it comes up to my knees! (And I'm tall!)

Thanks again guys!! For some reason, doing what I did tonight, made me feel more positive about things. Maybe it will turn soon. I'm just so disgusted because I'm doing the action, but not seeing any REACTION!!

Have a great night!

Oh..on the 10 gallons..I bought those big bottles off brand bleach. They were a gallon and a half. So, I put in ten gallons...however many containers that is!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 21:04

Anonymous wrote:Ok, this is what I've done tonight.

Remember, this is all done without my husband's knowledge. Any bleach, baking powder, algaecide, I buy. Any granulated bleach or tabs, he buys. Plus, right now he's paying the bills. Our elec. was $250 last month.

I backwashed/refilled three times. I added more of the copper algaecide, four boxes of baking soda..which we haven't put in in over a month...and two chlorine tabs. I started to put four, since we have TONS of them, but figured I would wait until tomorrow.

Here's the deal on the pump. We ran it all week last week, 24/7. He's not wanting to run it at night now, due to the bill. We've been turning it on at around 9-10am and leaving it on until around 1am. Therefore, it's only off for 8 hours.

I know that we should be running it all the time, but everytime I bring it up, he tells me that we can't.

I really, really need that job!!

Anyway, I did all the draining etc, put the chemicals in, and brushed between each drain.

I can't see the floor of the pool enough to vac right now.

I hope, hope, hope that what I'm doing now will help even more.

What's the difference in liquid chlorine and my tabs? Like I said, I have a lot of them. We bought one of those HUGE buckets, it comes up to my knees! (And I'm tall!)

Thanks again guys!! For some reason, doing what I did tonight, made me feel more positive about things. Maybe it will turn soon. I'm just so disgusted because I'm doing the action, but not seeing any REACTION!!

Have a great night!

Oh..on the 10 gallons..I bought those big bottles off brand bleach. They were a gallon and a half. So, I put in ten gallons...however many containers that is!


OK, you have me worried. I am getting the distinct impression that you are going manic on us, dumping random chemicals into your pool daily, and expecting a miracle at sunrise. I certainly hope you are adding all these things based on TESTS and not just dumping in chemicals willy-nilly. Why are you adding copper algaecide and baking soda? Is your TA super low?

We have told you all about CYA, pucks, etc, but you don't seem to be listening.

Please tell me I am wrong...
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com



Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests