Problems with pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Problems with pump

Postby Guest » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:04

Hi all,

I am having a few problems with my Hayward sand filter pump, when switching on the pump i get a nice flow of return water pressure, then it gradually dies down so that you cant see water being returned (but can feel it when you put your hand in the pool) then after about a minute the pump will switch off, then after about 3 - 5 minutes it will switch back on again, and keep repeating.

The pump isn't overheating as it's outside and to touch it isn't warm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Problems with pump

Postby Guest » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:23

Anonymous wrote:Hi all,

I am having a few problems with my Hayward sand filter pump, when switching on the pump i get a nice flow of return water pressure, then it gradually dies down so that you cant see water being returned (but can feel it when you put your hand in the pool) then after about a minute the pump will switch off, then after about 3 - 5 minutes it will switch back on again, and keep repeating.

The pump isn't overheating as it's outside and to touch it isn't warm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Also forgot to say that the PSI gauge on the sand filter doesn't move either
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 14:48

If the pump is actually shutting itself off electrically, then your pump is either overheating or it isn't getting enough juice (amperage). It can still be overheating without actually being burning hot.

How old is the pump?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Mon 23 Jul, 2007 15:12

Thanks for the reply,

Not sure how old as i bought it from ebay but have only just set it up, i remember my cartridge pumps doing the same thats why i bought a sand filter.

The pool is an above ground 18ft round by 3ft high

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”