Pool struck by lightning

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
SA Swimmer

Pool struck by lightning

Postby SA Swimmer » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 04:12

Now here's an interesting one, I cannot find anything at all about it on the internet!

Our inground concrete pool was struck by lightning. Instantly the water turned a green/brown color.

Any ideas on how to get it blue again? We don't want to put chemicals in unnecessarily. My theory is that all the oxygen in the water was used up when lightning struck.

Thanks!!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Pool struck by lightning

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:03

SA Swimmer wrote:Now here's an interesting one, I cannot find anything at all about it on the internet!

Our inground concrete pool was struck by lightning. Instantly the water turned a green/brown color.

Any ideas on how to get it blue again? We don't want to put chemicals in unnecessarily. My theory is that all the oxygen in the water was used up when lightning struck.

Thanks!!

1 - How do you know the pool itself was struck by lightning? Lightning strikes the tallest object nearby and the water itself is the lowest.
2 - How you you know the water turned brown "instantly"? Were you in the pool at the time? :lol:

Seriously, it sounds to me like you had a low sanitizer level and the storm blew in all sorts of debris, seeding your pool with algae. Very common actually.

Time to test.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 05:02

I was standing at the window watching the storm and saw lightning strike the pool. Water turned a bright orange immediately and within 2 minutes was brown. From being totally blue!!

I can't find anything on the net about this either!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 08:15

Anonymous wrote:I was standing at the window watching the storm and saw lightning strike the pool. Water turned a bright orange immediately and within 2 minutes was brown. From being totally blue!!

I can't find anything on the net about this either!

Without posting test results from the next morning, we will never know.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
fatybabe
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby fatybabe » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 21:48

Assumign what you are saying is true LIGHTNING STRUCK MY POOL,
the high voltage levels would have coroded the metals.

BASIC CHEMISTRY: ELCETRICTY and two metal plates in solution what do you get i.e. say process of making copper cathodes.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 30 Aug, 2007 16:20

ozanator-corona discharge (electric sparking similar to lightning) to convert oxygen into ozone.
Enjoy it once.........just kidding

Packing 100 million volts of electricity — a force similar to a small nuclear reactor — lightning, say the experts, is just too risky for you to ignore.

The air near a lightning strike is heated to 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit, hotter than the surface of the Sun.

kinda scary

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”