Is algae dead?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
dstinyz
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 19:08

Is algae dead?

Postby dstinyz » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 18:43

I have been fighting alot of algae, I have kept my chlorine above 10 and it has stayed elevated for 24 hrs on its own, I still have added more just to make sure all is dead. My question being... since it is still green does that mean that it is not dead? Most of it seems to be on the bottom, but when i vacuum it just stirs it all up. I have a vaccum that attaches to a hose...CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Some have posted I could try putting cotton balls in the bag to catch some of the algae... it worked somewhat... but I'm not sure I will get much out that way. I am willing to buy a differnet vacuum.... but I dont know how it will hook to my skimmer. I have a metal framed easy set pool that just has the skimmer that hangs on the side of the pool. I dont want to spend money on a vacuum and then not be able to hook it up. PLEASE HELP


Guest

Postby Guest » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 19:17

I don't think you are going to be able to find a better piece of equipment for the job you need done. That is one of the down falls to an easy set pool like you have unless you upgrade to a small above ground.

Cotton Balls is the best your gonna get unless someone else has a better idea which I doubt but I'm crossing my fingers for you.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:36

Save your cotton ball money for a real hose & vacuum. Those cheap venturi type vacuums are only designed/intended to pick up leaves, twigs and bugs. Something as fine all dirt & algae will never be vacuumed up and for every particle you randomly grab with a cotton ball another 1000 slip past.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
lesblank

Re: Is algae dead?

Postby lesblank » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 14:59

dstinyz wrote:I have been fighting alot of algae, I have kept my chlorine above 10 and it has stayed elevated for 24 hrs on its own, I still have added more just to make sure all is dead. My question being... since it is still green does that mean that it is not dead? Most of it seems to be on the bottom, but when i vacuum it just stirs it all up. I have a vaccum that attaches to a hose...CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Some have posted I could try putting cotton balls in the bag to catch some of the algae... it worked somewhat... but I'm not sure I will get much out that way. I am willing to buy a differnet vacuum.... but I dont know how it will hook to my skimmer. I have a metal framed easy set pool that just has the skimmer that hangs on the side of the pool. I dont want to spend money on a vacuum and then not be able to hook it up. PLEASE HELP


I have an 18 foot metal frame above ground pool too. It has the cheap (low preasure) pump to circulate the skimmer water back into the pool, and that's ALL it does. The so called vacuume that attaches to the skimmer doesn't exactly suck up much and the bag clogs quickly........ THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU YOO! You need a 2" flex hose. It comes with the vacuume. You'll need a length at least the diameter of the pool. Basically you're going to use the siphon method... the suction from a 2" hose when it siphons is greater than that of the pump's. Mine picks up lots more now, and it cost me nothing.
dstinyz
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 19:08

vacuum

Postby dstinyz » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 17:24

lesblank

So if you use the siphon method the water is going onto the ground outside the pool? If this is so do you put the hose in while you are doing this so you don't lose to much water? You sound like you have the Intex vacuum that accually hooks to the top of the skimmer and pumps into the filter, I just had found that one online and was going to order it thinking it would work better than the one that hooks up to the garden hose. Maybe I will just purchase what you suggested and try that 1st. Thanks
lesblank

Re: vacuum

Postby lesblank » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 22:44

I don't know if my last post went through yesterday, but I don't see it here so I'll repeat it......

A... The water goes wherever you want to drain it away.

B... You only keep the hose in while you're vaccuming, or more conveniently, just leave the whole hose in the water so it's filled with water and no bubbles. That way it's ready whenever you want it. You won't lose more than a few inches, which can be replaced with fresh water.

C...You're right about my pool. You're also right to use the syphon method. (See if you can get some kind of old vaccume brush head to attach to it with duct tape. Then you'll cover a wider area.

Let me know how things turn out for you.

dstinyz wrote:lesblank

So if you use the siphon method the water is going onto the ground outside the pool? If this is so do you put the hose in while you are doing this so you don't lose to much water? You sound like you have the Intex vacuum that accually hooks to the top of the skimmer and pumps into the filter, I just had found that one online and was going to order it thinking it would work better than the one that hooks up to the garden hose. Maybe I will just purchase what you suggested and try that 1st. Thanks
[/b]
dstinyz
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 19:08

Re: vacuum

Postby dstinyz » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 21:20

Ok I did buy a vacuum head and a hose to connect to it... hooked it up to my CHEAP pump and it did a whole lot of nothing :? I then did the siphon method after I used some floc, and my pool looks wonderful! It worked very well, I spent around 45.00 on the vacuum and hose but I hope to upgarde my pump next year so I didn't mind spending the money.

Thanks for your help!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02

Re: vacuum

Postby Backglass » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 21:27

dstinyz wrote:Ok I did buy a vacuum head and a hose to connect to it... hooked it up to my CHEAP pump and it did a whole lot of nothing :? I then did the siphon method after I used some floc, and my pool looks wonderful! It worked very well, I spent around 45.00 on the vacuum and hose but I hope to upgarde my pump next year so I didn't mind spending the money.

Thanks for your help!


That's the way to do it! And good job planning for the future. If you take care of the vacuum head and hose it will last a very long time.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com



Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
lesblank

Re: vacuum

Postby lesblank » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 19:19

dstinyz wrote:Ok I did buy a vacuum head and a hose to connect to it... hooked it up to my CHEAP pump and it did a whole lot of nothing :? I then did the siphon method after I used some floc, and my pool looks wonderful! It worked very well, I spent around 45.00 on the vacuum and hose but I hope to upgarde my pump next year so I didn't mind spending the money.

Thanks for your help!


It was my pleasure. Glad I could help. The only thing better than cheap is free and the only thing better than free is if they pay you to take it. :-)

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests