Pool is a green pond..FROGS INCLUDED!!!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mpaizsr

Pool is a green pond..FROGS INCLUDED!!!

Postby mpaizsr » Sun 02 Apr, 2006 08:31

:?: My pool sat for nearly 1 year. It was pond green with several large frogs. I first scooped out about 3 large garbage cans of old oak leaves and blooms, and several pounds of smelly muck. I put in a new pump(duraglass 1.5hpJ). My sand filter(tagelus) is very old and sand hasn't been replaced in several years. The Pinch A Penny store said I didn't need to completely drain the pool, and that they could bring it back to normal. They reccommended 2 pints of muractic acid and two 2 1/2 gallons jugs of chlorine. Then run the filtrations system for 30 minute, and then add through the skimmer, 32 ounce bottle of something called silver algacide. I then ran the pump continously for 72 hours.

The pool was still green and I could not see(too cloudy) to vaccum to waste. They suggested that I continue to shock it with liquid chlorine, 3- 2 1/2 gal. jugs. I did this for three straight days. Water now became a milky blue. Again, as they suggested, I added 32 ounes of drop down(flocculant) all around the sides of the pool (ph and chl were normal), while running on re-circulate for about four hours. After this I turned off the pump, and as they reccomended, I let it sit over night. This morning it is still cloudy blue and nothing dropped down. Did I not wait long enough, maybe 24-36 hours would have been better. What should I do next? Drain the entire pool and start over? Replace my sand filter? Lost in the cloudy water please help!!!

Pool Help

Cloudy pool water help

Postby Pool Help » Sun 02 Apr, 2006 17:13

I would have suggested draining before you started with all the chemicals. Once the water clears you don't know if you will be facing stains or surface problems.

Well, you've come this far so stick it out for a few more days. If the floc didn't settle to the floor of the pool, run your filter around the clock. Check the filter pressure and backwash when the pressure rises.

The water should begin to clear and the cloudy blue will give way to clear water. I recommend you open the filter and check the sand:
  1. make sure the sand is still sharp and grainy rather than powdery and rounded
  2. if the sand is gunky, use a filter cleaner to dissolve the muck
  3. top up the sand level if too low

If the flocculant was a decent concentration, it will still be working in a few days as the pool water clears. After the water has mostly cleared, turn off the pump and let it sit overnight before vacuuming.
ed

Re: Pool is a green pond..FROGS INCLUDED!!!

Postby ed » Thu 01 Jun, 2006 20:54

mpaizsr wrote::?: My pool sat for nearly 1 year. It was pond green with several large frogs. I first scooped out about 3 large garbage cans of old oak leaves and blooms, and several pounds of smelly muck. I put in a new pump(duraglass 1.5hpJ). My sand filter(tagelus) is very old and sand hasn't been replaced in several years. The Pinch A Penny store said I didn't need to completely drain the pool, and that they could bring it back to normal. They reccommended 2 pints of muractic acid and two 2 1/2 gallons jugs of chlorine. Then run the filtrations system for 30 minute, and then add through the skimmer, 32 ounce bottle of something called silver algacide. I then ran the pump continously for 72 hours.

The pool was still green and I could not see(too cloudy) to vaccum to waste. They suggested that I continue to shock it with liquid chlorine, 3- 2 1/2 gal. jugs. I did this for three straight days. Water now became a milky blue. Again, as they suggested, I added 32 ounes of drop down(flocculant) all around the sides of the pool (ph and chl were normal), while running on re-circulate for about four hours. After this I turned off the pump, and as they reccomended, I let it sit over night. This morning it is still cloudy blue and nothing dropped down. Did I not wait long enough, maybe 24-36 hours would have been better. What should I do next? Drain the entire pool and start over? Replace my sand filter? Lost in the cloudy water please help!!!
a lady at the local pool place said sometimes the focculant could take up to 4 days it kinda depends on weather conditions as well rain will disturbe it cause things to stir she says be patient and also the water would be cloudy blue sounds like ur close i got a simalar prob just bought a house with a pool pond lol!! good luck

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”