Purple staining/Manganese

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
vstang

Postby vstang » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 17:19

Anyone have a problem with purple stains on liners of inground pools? Looking for solution to removing as well as prevention. Tried the chemical process then scrubbing as much as I could then cleaning filters. Any ideas? It has been suggested this is manganese.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Purple staining/Manganese

Postby Backglass » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 08:47

vstang wrote:Anyone have a problem with purple stains on liners of inground pools? Looking for solution to removing as well as prevention. Tried the chemical process then scrubbing as much as I could then cleaning filters. Any ideas? It has been suggested this is manganese.

Have you had your water tested for metals to be sure? Do you fill with well water?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
vstang

purple stains/manganese

Postby vstang » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:23

Yes, we get the water tested at least once a week at the pool company we use. Our chlorine, alkalinity and ph levels are right on. Never no metals. However, they do not test for manganese. Our water supply is a community well, not private well. There are 11 other inground pools in our subdivision and I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem. Could this possibly be something other than manganese?
Dax67
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

maybe too late

Postby Dax67 » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:33

I had a purple ring develop around the perimeter of my pool last year. It seemed that the copper content of my pool was very high. I also had never completely drained my pool since it was built (5 years) -- something I was told should be done every few years or so to flush mineral/chemical buildups.

My solution, I completely drained the pool and sprayed muriatic acid on the purple stains. The stains dissolved instantly and I haven't had a problem since.

Also, what was so perplexing about the stains, was that my water sample indicated that all was correct since they don't normally check for copper.
sally

Postby sally » Mon 10 May, 2010 10:09

i have had this problem for a couple of years. first, if it is manganese, that comes from the ground, and you
might have a leak. but i have stumbled on to something having to do with calcium in the chlorine as an inert
ingredient. i am researching that now. check out both ways, and good luck.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 10 May, 2010 10:23

sally wrote:but i have stumbled on to something having to do with calcium in the chlorine as an inert
ingredient. i am researching that now.

Cal-Hypo is calcium hypochlorite and increased calcium in the pool. The following are rules of fact that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For ever 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

Purple staining can come from manganese metal ions or can come from high levels of copper ions and CYA as copper cyanurate.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”