plaster vs. pebbletech/diamond brite

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
pasadenadeb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: i am building a pool right now. 15 x 39 with a jacuzzi inside.

Plaster vs. pebbletech/diamond brite

Postby pasadenadeb » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 16:01

we too are deciding between pebble sheen and plaster. I am worried about the rough surface of pebble sheen. I also am worried about the color. I am looking for a French gray look and have picked out HD Tropical Breeze or Midnight Blue but cannot find anyone who actually has these products in their pool to check on the color. My pool contractor said that plaster only lasts 5 years before it needs to be redone. Is this true? I have heard that Pebble sheen also has places for algae to hide.

City Pool

Postby City Pool » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 13:44

I am and have operated two City owned pools here at my community center...they are 144,000 and 37,000 gallons...they both were constructed with Diamond Brite 17 years ago and to this point are just now starting to show signs of wear...both of the above mentioned pools are very high use and have everything from swim lessons to water aerobics and more...I was one of the first to have this product 17 years ago and have had no complaints from either patrons or staff about anything...it has worn well and been easy to maintain and I have given my positive support many times for this product...
aquablue

Postby aquablue » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 22:02

Anyone who tells you, that correctly applied plaster will only last 5 years has not been in the pool industry longer than 5 months, likely never even see Diamondbrite applied and I would not let him into my backyard. I personally would not touch pebble stone application with a 10 foot pole. But there is market for everything. Pool surface should be no nonsense, clean, good color, algae resistive and lasting. I have replaced plain marcite after 25 years with Diamond brite Aqua blue 2 years ago and I just love it. I requires fairly precise start up with acid wash with fully filled pool, but when done correctly and timely will reward you with a nice colorful and lasting surface. BTW, French gray is also beautiful! Good luck!
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 22:19

I don't think anyone has addressed this but there are actually three different products that are sold under the Pebble Tec brand.

Pebble Tec - Not so smooth, $$
Pebble Sheen - Smooth, $$$
Pebble Fina - Very smooth, $$$$

For me, Pebble Tec is much too rough and although Sheen and Fina are much smoother, I went with plaster because they were too expensive at the time. Some installers have show rooms where you can actually walk on each of the products under water to get a feel for your preference.

Pebble Tec Web Site
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 20:39

There is nothing more rewarding to a pool owner than algae free, sparkling clean pool with a nice water color. Correct informed choice of the surface that works toward that goal is always there. It is however often difficult, when we get overhelmed with so many modern fancy choices available today. It is not that hard though, if you know what helps you to avoid algae start and helps your pool sweep work most effectively. Examine how the different components of plaster surface are held together. Larger pebbles may have only 40-50% surface embedded in the cement. That initial good "hold" is in time slowly compromised by plaster loss and wear. (The pebble particles, that will go through your pump strainer, will do the number on the pump impeller!) The thousands of miniature crevices offer sanctuary to algae anytime you slack out of rigorous maintenance. Algae is a very smart and determined organism, hellbent on survival and will survive under the layer of the freshly killed in the pool as well as in your filter. Diamondbrite surface exposure is about 70-85% quartz that algae finds very hard to adhere to. So if you have real smooth surface as Diamondbrite will give you, getting rid of fresh starting algae is many times easier, faster and mainly cheaper. And than of course there is the factor of prolonged walking on some types of pebbles, that some people especially kids find unpleasant or troublesome. I may be a bit bias, but I always try to work the percentages. Remember: Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted!
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:33

Welcome back Czechmate

We've missed you, it certainly has been a while :wink:

JJ
Norman Tyree

Postby Norman Tyree » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 15:17

Questions on Dimond Bright wasn`t it one of 3Ms million products that they stopped producing in Nov 09.
I guess there is a huage stockpile of it available for people to add to there mixtures be it marble or whatever the want to use.
Being in the business the problem with all these pe-mixed plaster is the shelf life of the cement added at the batching plant, after 3 months it is generaly pased its use by date, never written on the bags.
Our product poolquartz is made from 100% Quartz to obtain the colour we add the same quartz that is ceramicly coated. (We do no use Oxides for colours) 12 years and no problems.
Now Pebbtech it is a excelent product and has been in use in Australia for many years, the pebbles come from New Zealand it is popular because it dosent require the skills to apply that a plaster requires which is alway a problem in any final finish. They add cement on site as well. so that is your answer to many of these problems. FRESH CEMENT.
mr. glass tile

Postby mr. glass tile » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 12:03

The best option available in the market is resurfacing your pool with glass tile. It is a little more expensive but it last forever. Warranty for up to 20 years. Very gentle to the touch, does not stain. And you dont have to empty the pool for the rest of your life.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 22:48

mr. glass tile wrote:The best option available in the market is resurfacing your pool with glass tile. It is a little more expensive but it last forever. Warranty for up to 20 years. Very gentle to the touch, does not stain. And you dont have to empty the pool for the rest of your life.

Please explain how the glass tile helps to maintain CYA and CH nice and steady in correct levels for life.
I assume that you still use masonry product to lay it and pool equipment to run it.
And while you at it, put in the average price of tilling pool with diving depth, 32 x 16FT.
jimmydean

Postby jimmydean » Mon 23 May, 2011 11:40

I was installing a pool 4 years ago and I was weighing all of my options as well. I finally decided on a pebble surface and was going to use pebble teck, but I then came across a product called wet edge. It is the exact same quality of stone as peb teck but it is cheaper and actually smoother than some peb teck finishes. Our pool is still beautiful and I would recommend this finish to anyone almost more than pebble teck.
Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 03:03

Diamond brite is the way to go..Been doing it for years. No roughness problems on feet. I have it in my own pool and love it..I resurface pools and have tried most of the products out there at least one time and nothing compares to the strength and comfort of this product.. Here are Some pics of one before and after.
ImageImageImage
spineman44

Postby spineman44 » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 20:02

I am choosing the Diamond Brite finish and have a question about color. We are choosing the darker color, Midnight Blue, and was curious how LED lights look in it. The lights change colors and was wondering if it you could still notice it in the darker surface. Thanks

JP

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”