green pool ALL SUMMER

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Lisa in MO

green pool ALL SUMMER

Postby Lisa in MO » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 16:18

:cry:

We have an inground pool (for the past 7 yrs.) and never have encountered problems like this summer. We had the sand changed, a new filter put in, shocked, flocked, algaecide, used Drop It (vacuumed to waste AT LEAST 10 times), and now our pool is as green as ever. The closest we ever got to seeing the deep end was when we were vacuuming to waste everyday). We have consulted two local pool sources and keep hearing basically that there is lots of pollen in the air, it shouldn't be our "new" filter unless there is a lot of sand in the pool or there is too low/high of pressure, and lots of selling of chemicals to me from one source. Since the chlorine and ph are o.k. we are swimming in our cement pond and will drain the pool next spring. However, I am concerned there might be a problem with our new filter. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS........LOTS OF WASTED MONEY AND NOT A LOT OF SWIMMING. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

steve 101

Re: green pool ALL SUMMER

Postby steve 101 » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 23:17

sand can last from 3-5 years before changing it, if you just got i do not see that being a problem, you could have metal in the pool, when you shock the pool it oxides the water, if you have a metal in your pool and you shock it the shock oxides the metal which will cause it to rust. the color will be green just like you see. i work for leslies pool and we check for that for free just come on by and give us a sample, for directions to a store near you go here www(dot)lesliespool(dot)com we are the largest pool supplier in America so i dont think it would be hard to find a store near you, the product you will need to get is called METAL FREE (you can order it off that website as well) good luck :)
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 14:30

Lisa in MO wrote::cry:

We have an inground pool (for the past 7 yrs.) and never have encountered problems like this summer. We had the sand changed, a new filter put in, shocked, flocked, algaecide, used Drop It (vacuumed to waste AT LEAST 10 times), and now our pool is as green as ever. The closest we ever got to seeing the deep end was when we were vacuuming to waste everyday). We have consulted two local pool sources and keep hearing basically that there is lots of pollen in the air, it shouldn't be our "new" filter unless there is a lot of sand in the pool or there is too low/high of pressure, and lots of selling of chemicals to me from one source. Since the chlorine and ph are o.k. we are swimming in our cement pond and will drain the pool next spring. However, I am concerned there might be a problem with our new filter. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS........LOTS OF WASTED MONEY AND NOT A LOT OF SWIMMING. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

Using your test kit, please post a full set of numbers. Without those, we would just be guessing in the dark. With real numbers we can give you real advice that will produce real results.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
les376

Metals

Postby les376 » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 12:12

I bet it is Metals. Go with the MetalFree from Leslie's. We had the exact same problem. The chlorine/shock only makes it greener. After we used the MetalFree our pool was crystal clear in two days. Our problem came from all of the rain we had been getting. Good luck!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 13:51

Though it could be metals, it could be that the CYA is too high so the shock levels weren't enough to kill algae. Testing the water is the best way to be sure. You can take a water sample to the pool store to test for metals (home test kits are expensive for that) and IF that's what they measure, then you can get a metal sequestrant from the pool store. Otherwise, walk out of the store without buying anything and test your water with your own good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 from Taylor here or from Leslie's here or the even better TF100 kit from tftestkits here. If your CYA level is very high, then a partial drain/refill combined with chlorine shock (NOT Dichlor or Cal-Hypo, but bleach or chlorinating liquid) would be appropriate.

So testing the water is key to finding out what to do and buying the appropriate product.

Richard

Postby Guest » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:51

What a hoot! I've used 2 bottles of drop it (4 for the entire summer) and vacuumed at least 6 times in the past week to waste. We can now see the shallow end and the deep is a pretty light emerald green. As advised I took the water in to be tested for metals - no copper, iron or manganese. The one pool place had chemicals to sell me and said that this area was having a problem with small algae coming up from the south..........wanted to sell me shock, but not the kind I already have. The pool testeed -0- chlorine (I turned the pool off last night in order to use the Drop It, have put algaecide in the past two days (the test for algae showed none)T/A is 180 (I put 2 gals. of Muratic Acid in last week......the one pool place here said you can't adjust T/A, just the ph.....ph is 8.

My concern is that if I don't vacuum to waste everyday this "stuff" is going to keep reappearing. I DO NOT HAVE AN ALGAE PROBLEM, AT LEAST NOT THE NORMAL KIND. I'VE PUT ENOUGH ALGAECIDE IN THE POOL TO LAST A REALLY LONG TIME. What is this stuff that keeps appearing on the bottom when the pool is off??????????? Have to laugh at this point in the game.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 13:12

I just want to make sure. Are you, Pool User, the same as Lisa in MO, the original poster? So are we talking about the same problem which originally sounded like a green pool, but now sounds like something appearing at the bottom of the pool. And out of all the testing I didn't see anything about Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels which are critically important to know. If CYA is zero, then chlorine will get broken down by the sun too quickly and you'll have zero chlorine and then algae. If CYA is too high, then you need higher Free Chlorine (FC) levels to keep away algae. So it's really important to get that measured and please, please, get yourself one of the good test kits mentioned (Taylor K-2006 or tftestkits TF100), probably online since most pool stores do not carry these test kits (the Taylor K-2005 is NOT the same thing).

As for stuff on the bottom of the pool that is not algae (assuming that), it could be sand (which should feel gritty) or pollen (though normally floats on the surface first). If it's pollen, you can use a skimmer sock which usually helps catch it. If you can get a sample of it, then if it's really gritty and hard, it's sand. If it's slimy, it's probably algae (pollen is more grimy or even a little gritty than slimy), but looking under a (cheap) microscope is definitive since pollen is round balls, sometimes with spikes, while algae is semi-transparent, usually more rectangular and sometimes in filaments with multiple cells.

As for "Drop It", that sounds like a flocculant so if that is clearing up the pool it is consolidating whatever particles that were there, which could be almost anything -- including metals since copper carbonate will fall out with flocculant just as algae or pollen would. The problem is that until you know what your FULL pool water chemistry measurements are, you can't know how to prevent the problem from reoccurring. With the test kits I mentioned you can accurately measure Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine (CC), pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and Calcium Hardness (CH).

By the way, what kind of shock do you already have? Look on the bottle and see if it says Cal-Hypo or if it says Dichlor (or something like Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazine-Trione Dihydrate). If the latter, then that is USELESS as it not only adds chlorine, but increases CYA as well so if your CYA is high then that just makes the problem worse. Even with Cal-Hypo you need to be careful that your CH doesn't get too high as this will cause cloudiness (and scaling, if really high, along with high pH).

Finally, as for lowering TA, the pool store is wrong. You CAN lower the TA, but it requires a combination of low pH and lots of aeration, with adding acid to keep the pH low (since aeration will make the pH rise). The procedure is described in this post. But first, get a good test kit and post a full set of numbers so we can help get rid of the green and/or stuff on the bottom problem. The TA can be dealt with later.

Richard

Postby Guest » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:41

We had a similar problem the more we schocked it the greener it got, we also but loads of algaecide into the pool. NOTHING WAS WORKING! thought we had filter problems. Well we had bought stuff that helps settles fine particals that wont get trapped into the filter... and when we so what looked like algae on the ladder, but very fine and like powder not slippery did not stick. well we had MUSTARD ALGAE there are special pool chems you need to buy and steps you need to take. our pool pretty much got better in 3 days.... now just fighting with cloudy water.

a little hint on the mustard algae.... while filter is running you cant see it, just looks like green water... it does not get trapped into filter ( to fine) i even think its hard to test for, or chol. and ph was fine. even brought water sample to a pool guy.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:13

Anonymous wrote:We had a similar problem the more we schocked it the greener it got, we also but loads of algaecide into the pool. NOTHING WAS WORKING! thought we had filter problems. Well we had bought stuff that helps settles fine particals that wont get trapped into the filter... and when we so what looked like algae on the ladder, but very fine and like powder not slippery did not stick. well we had MUSTARD ALGAE there are special pool chems you need to buy and steps you need to take. our pool pretty much got better in 3 days.... now just fighting with cloudy water.

a little hint on the mustard algae.... while filter is running you cant see it, just looks like green water... it does not get trapped into filter ( to fine) i even think its hard to test for, or chol. and ph was fine. even brought water sample to a pool guy.

While I am happy you got your pool clear, you didn't have mustard algae. Mustard algae is yellow and, well, looks like mustard (hence the name) and has nothing to do with green water.

HERE is a picture of Mustard Algae on some stairs

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:45

Also, if you shock a pool with chlorine and it gets greener, that's a sure sign of metals (usually copper) in the water. The shock is often Cal-Hypo which will initially raise the pH (until the chlorine gets used up at which point the pH drops back down). Higher pH precipitates metals out of solution.

I suspect that an algaecide with copper in it was used prior to the shock. This is a quite common mistake that most pool stores make -- in fact, the computer programs from some manufacturers actually print out recommendations that cause this very problem -- algaecide with copper, then shocking with chlorine that raises the pH and precipitates copper carbonate which makes the water look more green (this thread is but one such example).

Richard
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 13:12

chem geek wrote:Also, if you shock a pool with chlorine and it gets greener, that's a sure sign of metals (usually copper) in the water.

pool user wrote:we also put loads of algaecide into the pool

chem geek wrote:I suspect that an algaecide with copper in it was used prior to the shock.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a connection here. ;)

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:42

Backglass wrote:
chem geek wrote:Also, if you shock a pool with chlorine and it gets greener, that's a sure sign of metals (usually copper) in the water.

pool user wrote:we also put loads of algaecide into the pool

chem geek wrote:I suspect that an algaecide with copper in it was used prior to the shock.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a connection here. ;)

ok.. then i have a question... how do you get rid of or atleast lower the copper in the water??????? We have very cloudy milky water right now and are lowering the PH to lower the TA cause the TA is high.... :?: :?:
any :idea: :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: oh yea our Cyanuric acid is high... according to a pool place (brought in water sample)
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:38

Since your CYA is high and the only practical way to lower it is to do a partial drain/refill of the water, I would just do that to start with. Unless your fill water is high in TA or CH, then this partial drain/refill will lower those parameters as well (you can test your fill water to see, or look at your water district's water quality report).

To know how much to drain/refill, you need to know the precise CYA number -- not just that it's "high" since that could mean anything. If the pool store doesn't do accurate tests or won't give you specific numbers, then you should get yourself your own test kit and do the tests yourself. In fact, you should probably do that anyway. It's not hard and you'll take charge of your pool. You can get a Taylor K-2006 from Taylor here or from poolcenter(dot)com here or from Leslie's here or the even better TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here.

The green went away when you lowered the pH since you did that to do the lowering TA procedure which is described in this post. However, since you probably have to do a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA anyway, I would do that first and then see where the TA level is at.

As for the metals in the water, you can deal with them in one of two ways. When you have the pH low for the TA lowering procedure (after you lower the CYA level first through partial drain/refill), then you can add a metal sequestrant which will keep the copper in solution. The other alternative is to raise the pH, say by shocking with lots of a hypochlorite source of chlorine (unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid, or if your CH is low then Cal-Hypo) and when the pool turns greenish, use OMNI Liquid Floc Plus to consolidate the particles and vacuum to waste. The latter method, however, has the risk of staining the pool surfaces when the pH is raised and before the floc gets used.

Of course, a partial drain/refill will also dilute the metals (copper) in the pool as well, unless your fill water is high in metals (probably not, unless it's certain kinds of well water, but usually well water is just high in TA and/or CH).

Richard

Postby Guest » Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:49

lol , boy are you right! we have to use Well Water to fill up our pool. We usualy dont have a problem with it... if we have to fill it it gets kinda brownish we throwh in some iron myte. and maybe some clarifier normaly goes back to blue. but not this time lol... we are in the proccess of raising the PH back up think we got the TA kinda under control :roll: but we are not going to fight with it too much more its swimable just cloudy... and its almost time to cover it up for the season usualy do so after labor day

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”