green pool ALL SUMMER

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: green pool ALL SUMMER

Postby Backglass » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 13:12

chem geek wrote:Also, if you shock a pool with chlorine and it gets greener, that's a sure sign of metals (usually copper) in the water.

pool user wrote:we also put loads of algaecide into the pool

chem geek wrote:I suspect that an algaecide with copper in it was used prior to the shock.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a connection here. ;)

===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:42

Backglass wrote:
chem geek wrote:Also, if you shock a pool with chlorine and it gets greener, that's a sure sign of metals (usually copper) in the water.

pool user wrote:we also put loads of algaecide into the pool

chem geek wrote:I suspect that an algaecide with copper in it was used prior to the shock.

Hmmm...I'm seeing a connection here. ;)

ok.. then i have a question... how do you get rid of or atleast lower the copper in the water??????? We have very cloudy milky water right now and are lowering the PH to lower the TA cause the TA is high.... :?: :?:
any :idea: :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: oh yea our Cyanuric acid is high... according to a pool place (brought in water sample)
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:38

Since your CYA is high and the only practical way to lower it is to do a partial drain/refill of the water, I would just do that to start with. Unless your fill water is high in TA or CH, then this partial drain/refill will lower those parameters as well (you can test your fill water to see, or look at your water district's water quality report).

To know how much to drain/refill, you need to know the precise CYA number -- not just that it's "high" since that could mean anything. If the pool store doesn't do accurate tests or won't give you specific numbers, then you should get yourself your own test kit and do the tests yourself. In fact, you should probably do that anyway. It's not hard and you'll take charge of your pool. You can get a Taylor K-2006 from Taylor here or from poolcenter(dot)com here or from Leslie's here or the even better TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here.

The green went away when you lowered the pH since you did that to do the lowering TA procedure which is described in this post. However, since you probably have to do a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA anyway, I would do that first and then see where the TA level is at.

As for the metals in the water, you can deal with them in one of two ways. When you have the pH low for the TA lowering procedure (after you lower the CYA level first through partial drain/refill), then you can add a metal sequestrant which will keep the copper in solution. The other alternative is to raise the pH, say by shocking with lots of a hypochlorite source of chlorine (unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid, or if your CH is low then Cal-Hypo) and when the pool turns greenish, use OMNI Liquid Floc Plus to consolidate the particles and vacuum to waste. The latter method, however, has the risk of staining the pool surfaces when the pH is raised and before the floc gets used.

Of course, a partial drain/refill will also dilute the metals (copper) in the pool as well, unless your fill water is high in metals (probably not, unless it's certain kinds of well water, but usually well water is just high in TA and/or CH).

Richard

Postby Guest » Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:49

lol , boy are you right! we have to use Well Water to fill up our pool. We usualy dont have a problem with it... if we have to fill it it gets kinda brownish we throwh in some iron myte. and maybe some clarifier normaly goes back to blue. but not this time lol... we are in the proccess of raising the PH back up think we got the TA kinda under control :roll: but we are not going to fight with it too much more its swimable just cloudy... and its almost time to cover it up for the season usualy do so after labor day

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”