another try to clear up cloudiness

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
guest AGAIN!!!!!!

another try to clear up cloudiness

Postby guest AGAIN!!!!!! » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 08:31

ok since my last post got no replys at all lets try this one I am having trouble with cloudiness I cannot see the bottom of my pool this all started after I use a algaecide and shock treatment to clear up a slight green appearance that seem to be just at the bottom of my pool ( but I could still see the design in the bottom on my pool) I got a test kit and all the reading are in the right range my chlorine levels were very low and I added more chlorine and now they are high . I'm giving this one more day then I'm draining and refilling . I do want to add that when I dip water into a jar it seem very clear there are no particles floating around I see nothing that would cause this . I've tryed a clarifier shocked it twice and vacuum several times I'm baffle . does anyone know why my pool would turn cloudy ONLY after using the algaecide and shock ???????

Postby Guest » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 17:43

try a clearifier it is about 10.00 dollars at walmart

Postby guest » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 22:46

is that clearifier or clarifier I brought some at walmart and I can now see slightly the bottom of the pool so I'm on my way YEAH!!!!! but thanks better then draining lol
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: another try to clear up cloudiness

Postby Backglass » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 14:42

guest AGAIN!!!!!! wrote:ok since my last post got no replys at all lets try this one I am having trouble with cloudiness I cannot see the bottom of my pool this all started after I use a algaecide and shock treatment to clear up a slight green appearance that seem to be just at the bottom of my pool ( but I could still see the design in the bottom on my pool) I got a test kit and all the reading are in the right range my chlorine levels were very low and I added more chlorine and now they are high . I'm giving this one more day then I'm draining and refilling . I do want to add that when I dip water into a jar it seem very clear there are no particles floating around I see nothing that would cause this . I've tryed a clarifier shocked it twice and vacuum several times I'm baffle . does anyone know why my pool would turn cloudy ONLY after using the algaecide and shock ???????

Using your new test kit, please post a full set of number. Then you will get responses you can actually use instead of guessing.

If the shock you used was calcium hypo based, then cloudiness can result. Also if the algaecide contained copper, you could now have a metal problem.

Your test numbers will tell the tale...
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby guest » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 18:32

as I stated my test show all my numbers is the right range but I took the advice from someone at my church and used a clarifier and now as of today I can see the bottom of the pool and its design so its on its way and she told me that after I use the clarifier it would take about 3 days to clear and she is right this is day 2 and I'm over half way there. thanks anyway.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 19:12

guest wrote:as I stated my test show all my numbers is the right range but I took the advice from someone at my church and used a clarifier and now as of today I can see the bottom of the pool and its design so its on its way and she told me that after I use the clarifier it would take about 3 days to clear and she is right this is day 2 and I'm over half way there. thanks anyway.

Ya hear that everyone? You just need to go to church more. :lol:

A clarifier wont kill algae...although green water could be copper as well. Besides...you said in your original post that you tried a clarifier.

Best of luck.

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
heavenly guest

Postby heavenly guest » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 22:56

yes but when I put in the clarifier this was on Saturday I talk to someone from church on sunday and they suggested using a clarifier and I told them I already did and they said to give it a few days and they promise it would work and it has it was just me wanting an instant reaction to the chemicals I used and I had to learn to be patience . I understand the clarifier doesn't take care of the algae but after using the algaecide the green appearance was gone the next day but left a cloudiness in the pool and since my readings were fine I was just thinking it must have been the combination of using the shock and the algaecide together I will probably not know unless I combine them again which I don't think I will lol but yes going to church has help my pool :D

sorry satin :evil: my pool has been touched by an angel ! lol
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 23:08

I'm glad your pool is clearing, but the reason you were asked about your pool water chemistry numbers is to prevent the algae from happening again, not just to get rid of it this time. Obviously, something was off to get the algae in the first place. If you don't take care of what was wrong, then your pool may get algae again.

If you don't want to test your water and find out your pool's Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and keep your chlorine at the appropriate level for that CYA level (or if your CYA is high and you don't want to partial drain/refill to dilute it), then after you clear your pool I suggest you first add an initial dose and then weekly add a maintenance dose of PolyQuat 60 algaecide (see this post for brands) to prevent algae in the future.

To see that a pool can be cleared of algae with chlorine alone take a look at this post, this post and this post. When one has an above-ground pool without a floor drain, then the circulation is poor and the use of a clarifier or a flocculant (such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus) helps clear the water faster, though the latter usually requires vacuum to waste.

Richard

Postby Guest » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 11:37

as of 2 days ago my pool is completely clear and with that said I want to say that my numbers are the same now ( in normal range) as they were when the cloudiness began . I just use clarifier and kept adding more chlorine , and vacuum everyday .
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 14:07

Anonymous wrote:and kept adding more chlorine , and vacuum everyday .

...and thats why it cleared. The clarifier just makes you feel better. :lol:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 14:58

Pool User,

"in normal range" doesn't mean anything because the normal ranges proposed by the pool industry of Free Chlorine (FC) between 1 and 3 ppm while the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level can be anything up to 100 ppm are wrong, wrong, WRONG! If you don't have a minimum FC level at all times of at least 7.5% of the CYA level, then your pool can get algae. If you maintain the FC level relative to the CYA level, then your pool will not get algae.

So again, what were or are your pool water chemistry numbers, especially Free Chlorine (FC) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA)? Knowing the pH, Total Alkalinity (TA) and Calcium Hardness (CH) would be useful as well.

Richard

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”