how do I identify algae?

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Fiona Walker
I'm new here
I'm new here

how do I identify algae?

Postby Fiona Walker » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 09:00

I admit it sounds dumb, but I'm stumped as to how I know live from dead algae, green from mustard (I've got green pool tiles which definitely don't help) or algae from sand/dust on the bottom of the pool, whether I should brush before using algaecide or vice versa, whether there's a non-metallic flocculant I can use (have an EcoSmarte system in place); PLUS as if that's not enough, am I stupid or what....how can I be sure by eye from the cheapy test kits which pH level my water's really at if it's on the low side (which with EcoSmarte it's supposed to be)??? And what's the best way if there is one of testing Total Alkalinity? :? :?: PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE, ALL HELP GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!!!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 15:04

Rub it between your fingers. Algae is SLIMY. Dirt is GRITTY.

The best way to test all your water balance levels is with a real, actual test kit. Around $49. Ten with real numbers we can give you real advice and real results.

Would you pay $49 for crystal clear water? ;)
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”