ballpark of how much chemicals are going to cost for 45,000

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 09:28

Take chemgeeks advice and get the Taylor kit. It's essential for the BBB do-it-yourselfer. Learn the Jedi ways of BBB and you will save yourself a LOT of money and have the nicest pool on the block!

Don't be nervous about the size of the pool. I have found that the bigger the pool, the easier it is to take care of (believe it or not!). Your numbers don't "bounce" as much with a bigger pool.

That being said, what are the dimensions and depth of the pool so we can double check the size. People tend to exaggerate pool capacity.

===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
buzzbait

Postby buzzbait » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 12:29

Thanks Backglass!
"Your numbers don't "bounce" as much with a bigger pool."Yea,that's the way it is with my salt water reef tanks.My 75g is more chemicaly stable than my 20g.
Ill have to get back to ya with the demensions!!!
buzzbait

Postby buzzbait » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 17:23

Six days til closeing!!!I went over to cheak on the pool today.Their was air bubbles coming out of the returns in the pool and a gurgling noise coming from the filter area!This doesent sound normal to me.Any ideas why?The water was cloudy too but their was 6 new hocky pucks in the skimmer basket.Im more worried bout the air bubbles!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 22:42

buzzbait wrote:Six days til closeing!!!I went over to cheak on the pool today.Their was air bubbles coming out of the returns in the pool and a gurgling noise coming from the filter area!This doesent sound normal to me.Any ideas why?The water was cloudy too but their was 6 new hocky pucks in the skimmer basket.Im more worried bout the air bubbles!

A little gurgling and air in the returns is nothing monumental in an old pool. The house I just bought 3 months ago had a 16/32 cement pond...at least 20 years old. The filter gurgles, and i have air bubbles in my return line. Is it perfect? No...I am still trying to find the air leaks. Is my pool swimmable? Well, You be the judge.

A little aeration helps your ph rise...good for me with high TA. ;)
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
bamamelena

Postby bamamelena » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 03:42

Just had to pop in and say hello to a fellow North Alabamian!!!

I live in Prattville now, but am from Russellville. Good luck with your pool!! I'm a first time pool owner this year, and other than the algae problem, it's been a dream!!

~Melena
buzzbait

Postby buzzbait » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 09:53

Hey!
I just called two pool supply places and thy said you can't get liquid chlorine in Alabama!What up!!!!

Postby Guest » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:06

WoW! They are really trying to rip you off now!

Have they ever heard of CLOROX???

Do they sell that stuff in Alabama???
Or is it illegal down south? :roll:
buzzbait

Postby buzzbait » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:24

Yea!I was hopeing to get the 12.5% that Chem Geek spoke of less to carry arround!. I've called 5 pool supply places now.I guess They don't sell the 12.5% chlorinating liquid in Alabama!Guess I'll take a trip to Wally World and buy them out of Ultra bleach.
How expensive are those powders?Do they have cya?Do they have pucks without cya?With such a large pool is bleach going to be the best/cheapest route?

Postby Guest » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 13:23

Liquid bleach doesn't come in powder... or are you talking about Borax and Baking Soda?
^^ Now that comes in a powder and it's cheap.
(20 Mule Team, green box and Arm&Hammer yellow box)

Liquid bleach contain NO CYA.
CYA is conditioner/stabilizer in their pool section if they still have one... :roll: If I'm not mistaken, you could get more at Lowes for less or something like that... Oh well, can't remember right now... Anyone else???

I don't think you'll find a puck without CYA... I don't use them, just bleach. :D

Well, you'll pay more than me because I have a smaller pool! :lol: :wink: I think it would be better, atleast that's the way I'd go with any pool I had and I so wish I had a huge, I MEAN HUGE inground.
WALMART!!!! WATCH OUT!!!!!!!! HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 13:44

Here are the possible sources of chlorine and what they contain:

Trichlor pucks/tabs are solid, slow-dissolving, usually put into floating dispensers or automatic inline chlorinators. They are highly acidic and contain Cyanuric Acid (CYA) (technically, they dissolve into CYA and chlorine in water). For every 1 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also adds 0.6 ppm CYA. Some Trichlor might be available as powder/granules, but usually they are pucks/tabs.

Dichlor powder/granules dissolve very quickly. They contain even more CYA than Trichlor for the same amount of chlorine. They are somewhat acidic (they are not pH neutral -- the initial addition is slightly acidic, but the usage of chlorine is more acidic so the net result is acidic, but not nearly as much as Trichlor). For every 1 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also adds 0.9 ppm CYA.

Cal-Hypo granules dissolve somewhat slowly, but not like Trichlor. They generally are pre-dissolved in a bucket of water before addition. There are slower-dissolving pucks (HTH Duration Tabs) but they tend to fall apart near the end and have gummy additives (only the pucks, not the granules). This is a fairly pH neutral source of chlorine when accounting for chlorine usage. Cal-Hypo adds to Calcium Hardness (CH). For every 1 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also adds 0.7 ppm CH.

Unscented bleach and chlorinating liquid dilute in pool water, but are denser than water when in concentrated form so must be added slowly, especially to vinyl pools without a floor drain, to prevent accumulation at the bottom of the pool (adding slowly to a return flow and/or pre-diluting in a bucket of pool water helps). This form of chlorine does not add to CYA nor CH. It does add salt above and beyond what is added by ALL forms of chlorine since chlorine gets used up by converting to chloride (salt). For every 1 ppm FC added by bleach or chlorinating liquid, you get 0.8 ppm "extra" salt. From all sources of chlorine you get 0.8 ppm salt so for this source of chlorine the net is 1.6 ppm salt after chlorine usage.

Lithium Hypochlorite powder dissolves very quickly. It is similar to chlorine in being pH neutral when accounting for chlorine usage and is similar in its salt content. The main downside is that this is the most expensive source of chlorine, about 5 times as expensive as Trichlor for equivalent chlorine amount.

To reduce the amount of labor for constantly adding chlorine to your pool, you can consider The Liquidator . You can also consider getting a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) system. Another alternative is to not worry about the CYA and just use an initial dose and then weekly maintenance dose of PolyQuat 60 algaecide. That will prevent algae even when the CYA gets high and the FC stays around 3 ppm. At some point, however, when the CYA gets to 150 ppm or more you'll want to drain/refill to dilute the CYA since really high CYA may degrade plaster (see this link ).

You should also try and find out why Alabama doesn't sell chlorinating liquid (check hardware stores such as Home Depot or OSH as well) since, as was pointed out, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if they are selling bleach in stores. Chlorinating liquid is only around double the concentration of Clorox Regular bleach. What do commercial and public pools do? Use only chlorine gas? Are all using SWG systems? Some will use Trichlor feeders, but I doubt if all do.

Richard

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”