Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Losing my tan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Test Kits

Postby Losing my tan » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 21:41

I bought a test kit at Leslie's today and get home to test and realize that it doesn't test for cya or cc. I shouldn't have listened to the employee when he said the higher priced ones were more confusing and not really different than the one he sold me. It infuriates me that he assumed I would want a cheap kit that doesn't do what I need it to do. Anyway it was my fault for falling for it being new to all this. My question is.... has anyone ever had to exchange one? Do they do that? I am going back tomorrow and want to be prepared for a hard time!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 22:47

I don't know if they will exchange it, but the test kit you want to get is the Taylor K-2006 and I bet they do not have that one -- they probably have the Taylor K-2005 which is not as good. It will test everything you want to test, but the chlorine test is not as accurate, does not separately measure FC and CC, and only measures up to 5 ppm FC. The K-2006 kit contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test which measures up to 50 ppm FC accurately with a resolution of 0.2 ppm or 0.5 ppm depending on sample size and it also measures CC. You can order the Taylor K-2006 from Taylor here or from Leslie's here or the even better TF100 test kit from tftestkits here.

Good luck!
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 15:16

you can buy test strips for the CA.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 15:21

Test strips for Cyanuric Acid (CYA) are not accurate. In fact, most test strips are not accurate except for the AccuChek test strips for salt and borates.

The Taylor K-2006 is also available at poolcenter(dot)com here where it appears they have lowered the price so it's a good deal though the TF100 at tftestkits(dot)com is still a better bargain since it has a more logical amount of reagents for the different tests (you'll get far more CYA tests out of that kit, for example).

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”