Shock

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Matty1stop

Shock

Postby Matty1stop » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 10:20

I have an easy set inflatable ring pool (12' X 36")

Recently I added a 1/2 bag of shock to the pool by broadcasting it instead of mixing it in water first. I have noticed that the water level has decreasedsignificantly recently. Is it possible that the undilluted shock ate through the pool floor and is leaking into the ground? I can't see any leaks on the sides.

Thanks,

Matt

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:41

If the chlorine you used to shock your pool was Cal-Hypo, then yes this takes a while to dissolve so dumping it in could result in it settling at the bottom and then fading and breaking down the liner. Usually, it takes multiple applications like this over a period of time to do damage, but if the liner was already weak in that area for whatever reason then yes the Cal-Hypo could have created a hole in the liner in that area.

This is why it is very important to pre-dilute Cal-Hypo before addition. Even bleach or chlorinating liquid should only be very slowly added to the water flow coming out of a return and for added safety, pre-dilute and/or brush the bottom to improve circulation since concentrated bleach and chlorinating liquid is heavier than water. And, of course, Trichlor tabs are very slow to dissolve and are highly acidic so should only be used in a floating or inline feeder (even a floating feeder is risky if it parks itself near the edge of the pool). Only Dichlor and Lithium Hypochlorite dissolve very quickly so are not as risky for liner damage, but with proper application the other sources of chlorine can be fine to use.

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 12:10

Thanks for the reply. If this is the cause would it likely be one hole I could patch or just general deterioration of the liner?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 12:52

Most likely it is a hole in the area where the Cal-Hypo settled. If it settled in one place, then probably one hole. If it was spread around, then that could be general deterioration in the area, but not areas away from where it settled (so the sides are probably OK).

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 13:03

I see. I'm trying to decide if I should attempt repair or just spend the $100 for a new one. We've only got about a month left of pool weather so I may just refill it for then and toss it at the end of the season. Unless of course I could actually find the hole while draining it.

Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Chlorine”