update on my pool water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Debster
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

update on my pool water

Postby Debster » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:11

It has been a few days and my water is still staying clear since I started using bleach. I have a small 8' X 30" intex pool.

If anyone is thinking of using the bleach method and are unsure, do not be. I would say do it. Once you find the right percentage to put in everyone on here is right, it is just a few minutes a day. I am back to enjoying the pool again.

For larger pools they have automated dispensers, I have not looked into these but heard mention on this site.

Debbie

Litoq

Postby Litoq » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:38

I agree completely. I was a little hesitant at first but after the first days of using bleach, I had no more algae problem, no more chlorine smell, no bugs, no water problems at all with the exception of the high CYA left over from when I was using granular shock and tabs. The water stays clear and takes only a few minutes in the evening. My wallet is a little fatter too!! Now if I can just get the jugs of bleach delivered to the house...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 13:12

I do want to remind everyone with a vinyl liner pool (most above-ground pools and some in-ground pools) that you need to be very careful adding chemicals to the pool, especially chlorine and acid. For bleach or chlorinating liquid, pour it into the pool very slowly, preferably over the jet flow from a return, and for extra safety use a brush to brush the bottom of the pool after addition just to make sure it mixes well and doesn't settle (especially in pools without a floor drain). For even extra safety, one can pre-dilute the chlorine in a bucket of pool water before addition. For Cal-Hypo this is essential.

Some people pour the chlorine slowly into the skimmer, but I think pouring into the return flow is better but I may be overly conservative about that. Clearly, if you pre-dilute the chlorine in a bucket of pool water, then pouring into the skimmer slowly should be fine.

Concentrated bleach or chlorinating liquid is denser than water so if dumped in too quickly it can settle at the bottom of the pool and potentially fade or weaken the liner. Cal-Hypo dissolves slowly so can have the same problem if it settles to the bottom. Only Dichlor and Lithium Hypochlorite dissolve quickly enough to not generally be an issue with respect to application so can usually be broadcast around the pool.

Richard
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 13:38

Thanks for the great tips Chem geek. I do pour over the return jet but admittedly pour it rapidly. Guess a few more minutes won't hurt.
Debster
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debster » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:00

Thanks chem geek, I do try to go slow. Sometimes the bucket is too heavy (I pour in bucket of pool water) so the first dump is faster then it should be. :?

I never thought about brushing after. I will do that.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”