What auto pool cleaner should we use? We have never used one

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....

What auto pool cleaner should we use? We have never used one

Postby Guest » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 15:44

Greetings from Charlotte, NC! Current temperature 103.

We purchased our home 4 years ago.
It has a 16 x 32 in ground pool with a vinyl liner.
Pool has a 3/4 hp pump with a sand filter.
The configuration has 2 output jets on the short side with one intake/skimmer basket on the opposite short side.

Our pool is surrounded on 3 sides by neighbors' large oak trees, so leaves are a constant problem.
My husband has become frustrated with the pool because of maintenance, cleaning. He REFUSES to use it unless it is pristine.

A friend bought a lot of automatic cleaners at a pool company auction and sold us a Hayward Phantom for $90. We were initially excited, but installation requires a booster pump and dedicated outlet, right?

Should we pay to have someone help us install this thing or sell it on eBay to finance a robotic cleaner or suction unit?

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, cost estimates etc.

(we have so far been unable to find a pool maintenance person to return our calls)

Curt
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

best pool cleaner

Postby Curt » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 21:08

The easiest pool cleaner and best value is the Aquabot Turbo/Tempo. It runs on 24 volts dc for pennies a day. The Turbo or Tempo costs a tiny bit more than the basic Aquabot but works 100% faster.

Have seen them on-line for 715-799 dollars with free shipping. I have seen new Aquabot Tempos on Ebay sell for less than 600 dollars.

Another good robot is the Dolphin Explorer. It is the only robot that may be left in the pool and is programmable to perform 3 cleaning cycles per week.

Throw them in the water and plug 'em in.

Suction and pressure cleaners are cheap but they need adjustments and can only work when the pool pump is running.

The Turbo will filter 4200 gallons per hour with the filtering precision of a DE filter.

You don't need remote control and stay away from dual drive motor robots. They cost a fortune to repair.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:10

The best pool cleaner I have found is a few small splashing children. They keep everything stirred up so well, the filter get 99% of it. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 16:42

most oak trees have huge leaves that get very heavy to pull out of the water.
You should kindly explain what is happening to the neighbors and ask them to cut them.
With that and getting a automatic cleaner your hubby should be happier.

A suction automatic cleaner should work fine and most come with VHS tape to hook it up. They do run when pool is on and vacuum good. If you do not like it running because you want to swim run pool at night.

There is no automatic cleaner that is going to cleanup oak tree leaves.
Curt
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

I have an Oak tree

Postby Curt » Sun 26 Aug, 2007 00:15

My Aquabot picks up the many acorns and leaves that fall from an Oak that hangs very close to my inground pool.

Many leaves float to the skimmer and all the acorns fall to the bottom. Given the amount of debris that falls into the water, I would not use any other pool cleaner but a robot.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”