Can't get an Alk reading

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
trudi.kemmis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can't get an Alk reading

Postby trudi.kemmis » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 19:26

We have a spa/pool(spool), fiberglass, in-ground, 2500 gallon. Our Ph level is way too low(yellow) and we can not even get a Alk reading. Our water is clear yet sour tasting and eye burning. We added Ph stab. and now the pool turned a lovely shade of light green, almost neon green. In the past, we have added acid to clear the pool and we learned that is not the correct thing to do. This is not a new pool, but new to us...we just bought the house. HELP! I haven't done pool maintance in 25 years.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 20:55

Using your test kit, please post a full set of numbers. Just saying "way too low" is vague. You need to add some baking soda to raise your ta & ph, but how much "some" is depends on your tests. With such a small pool it is VERY easy to overdose, as you have learned. GO SLOW.

You shouldn't wait around though...an extremely low ph will damage your pool & pool equipment.

Acid has nothing to do with clarity and everything to do with ph. You clear a pool with your filter and sanitizer (chlorine/bromine).
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 22:30

If you don't get a reading on the Total Alkalinity test, then your pool's pH was likely to be less than 4.5 which is WAY too low (and that's consistent with the burning eyes). If raising the pH caused the pool to turn green, then you may have copper in the water (possibly from your gas heater since the low pH could have corroded it) or you could have an algae bloom if your chlorine is too low for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.

Getting the pH up to normal is the first priority, but I fear you may have already damaged your heater. Test your chlorine and CYA levels as well and post those (as was said, just post a full set of numbers).

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”