ph levels

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

ph levels

Postby darwinsti » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:22

I tested my pool water(with the yellow and red liquid testers(chlorine and ph)), the ph was unusually high and the chlorine was very low. How do i get the ph down and the chlorine up without using the harsh pool chemicals? The pool is slightly cloudy since i stirred the bottom a bit. No slimey or yucky feeling on the liner(above ground 18 by 4. What exactly does bleach baking soda and borax do?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: ph levels

Postby Backglass » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 19:22

darwinsti wrote:I tested my pool water(with the yellow and red liquid testers(chlorine and ph)), the ph was unusually high and the chlorine was very low. How do i get the ph down and the chlorine up without using the harsh pool chemicals? The pool is slightly cloudy since i stirred the bottom a bit. No slimey or yucky feeling on the liner(above ground 18 by 4. What exactly does bleach baking soda and borax do?

You can't fix your pool without chemicals. I am not sure what "harsh" chemicals you are referring to, but you sound like you might have been reading a few advertisements for "snake oil" mineral systems. They like to say "without harsh chemicals" an awful lot to bolster their claims. ;)

You need chlorine to both clear your pool and sanitize it. If you pool is below 3ppm right now (low) and were a public pool, it would be shut down by the health department as a health risk. You bring the ph down with muriatic acid (available from Home Depot or hardware store) and raise your cl with chlorine...liquid chlorine (aka bleach) is the cheapest.

As for your question about BBB, CLICK HERE and read to understand the wonders of Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
darwinsti
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

again

Postby darwinsti » Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:31

so if i keep chlorinating my pool with a high ph it's not going to do any good?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: again

Postby Backglass » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:14

darwinsti wrote:so if i keep chlorinating my pool with a high ph it's not going to do any good?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Chlorine doesn't really effect ph. You need to keep your ph in range to prevent stingy eyes, etc and potential equipment damage.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”