Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
hoffslim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Spa cermaic tiles stains

Postby hoffslim » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 18:04

we have an in-ground jacuzzi 5,000 gallons that has a waterfall. a couple weeks ago we scrubbed the tiles with a pumice stone and it looked great. now the stain is back, it is sort of a brownish color around the tiles. we use 3" chlorine tabs for sanitizing. could the waterfall have an effect? the ph stays at a constant 7.2-7.8. i am baffled as to what it could be and how to prevent it and any help would be great, thanks.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:17

When is the last time you changed water in spa? This should be done every 3 to 4 yrs.

Take sample of spa water in clean bottle to pool to and have them test it.
You can have Hard water, High metals, TDS, etc. but having them give you all this info lets you know where to start.

Also bring another sample from the fresh water you will put into spa and have them test it so you know the difference.

for the future:
I would concentrate not only on PH level staying at around 7.4 but Total Alkalinity between 80-120. Tabs are a cheaper way to run a spa, but are only controlled by opening and closing floater at the bottom because it just disolves.

My guess in seeing similar things at many pools I go to:
If it was white stuff you first scrubed off, it was calcium
brownish new scum buildup, it's starting over

Get a stain remover which removes metals and start using it weekly as a preventative for scum buildup and buy a good tile cleaner for around water fall area

remember the test results will help you more in what direction you go

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”