What is the best filter type, cartridge, sand or DE

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
kenric

What is the best filter type, cartridge, sand or DE

Postby kenric » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 12:39

If this has been discussed before please point me to the link. I did a search and didn't find anything.

I have a Triton II sand filter that developed a crack on one of its bulkheads. The part is going to cost me $70 and I'm going to have to empty the sand to replace it. This got me thinking that I should just get a new filter for $500 cause I'm not too pleased with the sand filter.

Any reason I should stick with this one? I was thinking of going cartridge instead. Not to sure about going DE.

Thoughts?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 13:43

just my opinion servicing pools, that DE filters are the best.

www. poolplaza. com/how-pool-filters-work. shtml
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:02

I like sand personally...maintenence free and nothing to buy. That being said, if it's between Cartridges & DE, it's no contest. DE. Cartridges are a PAIN. DE also gives you the highest filtering efficiency.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:28

I have a cartridge filter in my pool and it's not big deal for me, but there are reasons for that. First, is that it is oversized for my pool -- a Jandy CL340 (340 square feet filtering area) 4-cartridge filter designed to handle (in terms of its maximum 135 GPM flow rate handling) about triple my pool water volume ("6-hour capacity 48,600 gallons" while my pool is 16,000 gallons). Second, is that I have an electric safety cover so not very much junk gets into the pool. My pressure gauge never rises all season and I only clean my filter once a year. It's certainly dirty, but not packed by any means.

I would guess that using an oversized filter in a pool that didn't have a cover and had more junk get into it would need to be cleaned more frequently, perhaps 2-4 times during the season. I agree that the process of removing the cartridges is a pain so I'm glad I don't have to do it often.

Our county is under tight water restrictions so either requires or strongly suggests use of cartridge filters.

Richard
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 14:18

I would agree with that, the new cartridge filters today are made better and some now use both sides In & outside.

seeing many pools with cartridges the biggest problem in So. Cal. is older undersized cartridge filters.

The poor customers are cleaning there filters once a month and hate it.
So they then think they are not good, not understanding that size matters and how they clean them matters to get longer life.

Those electric pool covers are expensive but to me they save kids lifes do to having a key parents can remove so it can not open and they can be walked on :D
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 15:11

Go with a cartridge filter.........PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”