Shock ?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Shock ?

Postby Guest » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 14:13

What is the best shock to use with Pristine Blue?

Postby Guest » Sun 19 Aug, 2007 19:41

lithium hypochlorate
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 19 Aug, 2007 22:00

Looks like this site is getting spamed by a Pristine Blue promoter.

Read this link. If Pristine Blue is copper sulfate, then there are many copper systems and they all have pretty much the same advantages and disadvantages.

Lithium hypochlorite is the most expensive form of chlorine and is no better than Sodium hypochlorite found in bleach or chlorinating liquid. It's just a fast dissolving powder as opposed to a liquid. It even has the same salt content.

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:14

Thanks for the info. I'm not a Pristine Blue promoter. I had a legitimate question.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:44

OK. Sorry. When I saw that there were two Pristine Blue threads one after the other it seemed suspicious to me (see this thread and the third post in this thread). Also, when people don't log in, then "Pool User" is so generic that's it's hard to know who is who. Again, my apologies and I hope I answered your question.

I don't know who the person is that said "Lithium Hypochlorite", but there is absolutely no difference between that and unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid in terms of the effects on pool water -- both affect the pH the same way (pH rises upon chlorine addition and then drops when chlorine gets used up so these are pH neutral sources of chlorine) and add the same chlorine in the water. The only difference will be lithium ions instead of sodium ions but that should have no affect on the water chemistry whatsoever.

For a comparison of the cost of various chlorine sources and the side effects of what they add to the water, see this thread.

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 19:29

It is quite possible I did a duplicate post. Sorry if I did! I am guilty of being scatterbrained sometimes..

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”