2nd Marcite plaster coat on new pool

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
NewPool'06

2nd Marcite plaster coat on new pool

Postby NewPool'06 » Fri 07 Apr, 2006 18:37

We contracted with a large local pool contractor for a new inground, gunite & marcite plaster pool. We chose a dark blue color at additional cost (their default plaster is white). Well, they first plastered it with their default white plaster and determined the error after they had the plaster installed and prior to acid washing and filling. They informed us and told us they would be back to chip away the plaster in order to feather the new correct colored marcite, all of which they did. They also added a grey coating of some undisclosed product between the two marcite layers apparently to ensure binding. Now, the pool is leaking (15x30 irregular pool) by about 1/3rd inch per day, 2 inches in 6 days.

Also, the plaster has considerable check cracking some of which are noticable to the touch.

My concern is that the added coat will not last as long as if they had done it correctly the first time or if they had given us the option to keep the first, wrong color witih a rebate of the cost difference.

Can anyone comment as to the different life expectancy of a 2nd, resurfaced plaster pool compared to the original basic coat? I've found comment elsewhere that the initial plaster will last up to 15 years but the resurface plaster has a 3-5 year life expectancy.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post!

Pool Helper

Marcite problems

Postby Pool Helper » Sat 08 Apr, 2006 13:50

Things do not sound so great :(
the pool is leaking by about 1/3rd inch per day
Also, the plaster has considerable check cracking

If this is a new pool, the problems can only get worse. As the surface cracks more, the water "furrows" a pathway and enlarges the crack increasing the rate of water loss. You can also expect the cracking to get worse.

The grey coating was some kind of bonding agent, which may reduce the water loss, though unlikely.

The lifespan of the 2nd layer is considerably less in normal situations. I have no experience of a second coating in a new swimming pool. The original surface should have a lifespan of at least 10 years, replastered surfaces are good for up to 6 years in general.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”