cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
billbob

cloudy water

Postby billbob » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 14:43

Cloudy water in an easy set pool, any suggestions???

jelpr

cloudy/milky water

Postby jelpr » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 15:33

getting through billbob! :idea: 8) :oops: :D :) :twisted: :evil:
billybob
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby billybob » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 16:13

Just finding my way around :!: :D :oops: :arrow:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 19:12

Cloudy water can be caused by the beginnings of an algae bloom, or by over-saturation of calcium carbonate (saturation index too high) or by poor filtration. Please get yourself a Taylor K-2006 test kit from Taylor here or from Leslie's here or from poolcenter(dot)com here or the even better TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here. Or at least have a pool store get a full set of numbers including Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine (CC), pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and Calcium Hardness (CH).

Since usually the CH is low in a vinyl pool, I'm guessing that the cloudiness is the start of an algae bloom or is poor filtration. If your FC level is too low relative to your CYA level, then algae can develop and you'll need to shock the pool with chlorine to get rid of it, but without knowing any of your pool chemistry levels this would be like shooting in the dark. You could start by raising the FC level to 15 ppm and holding it there by adding unstabilized chlorine, but you won't even be able to test FC levels above 5 ppm unless you get a good test kit as indicated above.
billbob

Postby billbob » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:46

Thank you.............
jelgpr

cloudy water

Postby jelgpr » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:48

[/b]
can't get color to work :( :? :cry:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”