Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
rmiller111
I'm new here
I'm new here

Conflicts in when to backflush sand filter

Postby rmiller111 » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:15

I have a Hayward S244T sand filter with 300 lbs of sand, my water is very clear and the chemical balance is right on.

The instructions with the filter indicate that the filter should be backflushed when the pressure differential goes up 8 to 10 lbs from its initial reading. The filter started at 18psi, and hasn't gone up at all.

A local pool service recommended a maintenance plan that included some very good advice, much the same that is recommended here, and the weekly plan includes backflushing until the water is clear, and then rinsing to settle the sand.

So, the question is, should I follow the manufacturer's advice and wait for the pressure to rise, or stay on top of the backflushing with the weekly maintenance?

I've also heard conflicting filtering capability of sand filters. I've read that sand filters can filter down to 6 microns (DE down to 3) from one source, and other sources put sand filters down to 30 microns. Which one is more accurate?

Also, does weekly backflushing inhibit the buildup of particles that actually assist in the filtering? Is that why the manufacturer wants the pressure rise?

Rob
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Conflicts in when to backflush sand filter

Postby Backglass » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:46

rmiller111 wrote:I have a Hayward S244T sand filter with 300 lbs of sand, my water is very clear and the chemical balance is right on.

The instructions with the filter indicate that the filter should be backflushed when the pressure differential goes up 8 to 10 lbs from its initial reading. The filter started at 18psi, and hasn't gone up at all.

A local pool service recommended a maintenance plan that included some very good advice, much the same that is recommended here, and the weekly plan includes backflushing until the water is clear, and then rinsing to settle the sand.

So, the question is, should I follow the manufacturer's advice and wait for the pressure to rise, or stay on top of the backflushing with the weekly maintenance?

I've also heard conflicting filtering capability of sand filters. I've read that sand filters can filter down to 6 microns (DE down to 3) from one source, and other sources put sand filters down to 30 microns. Which one is more accurate?

Also, does weekly backflushing inhibit the buildup of particles that actually assist in the filtering? Is that why the manufacturer wants the pressure rise?

There is no benefit to backwashing often. Sand filters actually work better when they are dirty! Once your pool is clear and maintained well, you might not have to backwash for weeks.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”