slecting pool cover

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
corky
I'm new here
I'm new here

slecting pool cover

Postby corky » Tue 04 Sep, 2007 13:57

Hi,
We live in the North East and I'm trying to figure out what kind of pool cover to buy.
When we had our old pool, we would drain below the skimmer, put in a big balloon cushion to hold the cover up, and then put the cover over it. The rain and leaves would collect on the cover, making it a pain in the spring - draining the water and gook and getting the soggy leaves out.
Now I'm reading to NOT drain the water, and using a cover that lets rain water thru - eliminating having to drain the water from the cover.
I've also have neighors who have self-drain covers (which I can't seem to find).
Now I'm confused. Any advice?
:?

audionut

Postby audionut » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 06:47

I have a non-porous (hard) loop-lock cover with a pool cover pump. When the pool is opened in the spring, the water is as clear as the day it was closed. If you go with the porous cover, you may still want to consider a pump on the top step of the pool to prevent overfilling due to rain, snow etc.
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 10:53

I live in San Antonio and have an In Ground Pool 15 x30

I use a safety cover made of heavy vinyl which has a place in the middle to open up and let the water run through. It doesn't allow water to pool and the leaves that accumulate can be blowed of with a blower if needed.

I maintain my water level at the normal hieght and run my pump for 3 hours a day. The reason for this is I have a salt system which I generate at 100% and when I opened my pool this Spring the water was crystal clear and all I had to do ws vacuum and backwash.

Ready to Swim!!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”